How to handle different DB schemas for Dev, Test and Prod

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

deepbanerji
Participant

How to handle different DB schemas for Dev, Test and Prod

Post by deepbanerji »

I have different database schemas for Dev, Test and Prod. When I export my Jobs to Test, Do I need to import new table definitions from the Test Schema and update my Queries in all the jobs or is there any other way to handle this situation.

Thanks,
Deep.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The usual approach is to put values that can (and should) change into job parameters - things like file paths, DB userids/passwords/schemas/instances.
ketfos
Participant

Post by ketfos »

Hi,
You need not import your new table definitions into datastage from TEST schema after you have moved the jobs from Dev to Test enviornment.

You should able to run your job from TEST enivornment after moving from DEV - VERSIOn CONTROL - TEST.

Ketfos
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Never use fully qualified schemas, rely on synonyms. If a schema is needed, use job parameters. On the table names, leave off the schema and make sure you alias the name of each table without the schema name so that the DERIVATION column in the definitions is correct.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Avoid anything that requires a modification and recompile of your job in testing or production. Any job property that you need to change to get it to work in testing should be changed to a job property. This includes database details and file paths. You can change job parameters without recompiling the job.
rleishman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rleishman »

Are you using 7.5.1A? Is, read this.
Ross Leishman
rkdatastage
Participant

Post by rkdatastage »

Hi

you can use job parameters which can implies to the database connection , user id , password. its better to use dynamic parameterization rather than static parameters

RK