nested trigger

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kkreddy
Participant

nested trigger

Post by kkreddy »

hi DSGuru's,

i have a secquencer with two 3 jobs say , A,B,C ,how can i code C to run only if both A & B are succesfully finished, if either of this fail C should not run .
How can i use nested trigger in this scenario.

thanks in advance
Last edited by kkreddy on Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
info_ds
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: nested condition in trigger

Post by info_ds »

kkreddy wrote:hi DSGuru's,

i have a secquencer with two 3 jobs say , A,B,C ,how can i code C to run only if both A & B are succesfully finished, if either of this fail C should not run .

thanks in advance
hi reddy,

Job activities A and B with expression type 'OK' should be linked to SEQUENCER with mode option 'ALL'.Then the output link to job activity C

hope this works.

hi all,
correct me if i'm wrong.
thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No, you've got it right. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
info_ds
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by info_ds »

chulett wrote:No, you've got it right. :wink:
Thanks Craig.
if the question is other way around
say i have job activities like this
A-->B-->C

jobs A,B ran sucessfully,but job C got aborted.

when i run the job sequence next time,only job C should run wherein the job A & B should remain idle.

how can i achieve this?
is there anything to do with check points?
hoping for reply.thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Check the restartability options in the job sequence's job properties, expecially automatic handling of restart after failure. Read about how it works in on-line help or, if you're thus inclined, look through the generated job control code. Basically a checkpoint is kept of each successfully-completed component.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kkreddy
Participant

Post by kkreddy »

kkreddy wrote:hi DSGuru's,

thanks in advance
my scenerio is like this

A-----\
\ if both A&B --------\ C should run else abort the job
/ are succussfull----/
B-----/

how can i do this ?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

kkreddy wrote:how can i do this ?
:? Start by reading the replies already posted, your basic solution is there. If what you have just added is the 'else abort the job' part, then you'll need to clarify some things.

First, what exact version of DataStage 7.x do you have? Exception handling in Sequencers changed significantly from 7.0.x to 7.5.x so your solution changes accordingly. Also curious why anything should be aborted? Do you mean you want to be notified in some way of the problems in A and/or B?
-craig

kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi reddy,
You can use terminator(not sure whether its available in server edition. But you have abot utility) for the purpose of abort but there is no need of that in this basic case.
Sequencer obviously abort if any one of the job aborts for the above mentioned configuration.
Hence you ll get notified if either of the job aborts.

-Kumar
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

kumar_s wrote:You can use terminator for the purpose of abort but there is no need of that in this basic case.
You are jumping ahead, Kumar. We don't know what version they have, hence we don't know if they have a Terminator stage available to them.
kumar_s also wrote:Sequencer obviously abort if any one of the job aborts for the above mentioned configuration.
Generally, they just stop. The Terminator changes the picture, yes, but just because the job aborts doesn't necessarily mean there will be any notification of same.
kumar_s lastly wrote:Hence you ll get notified if either of the job aborts.
No, you won't - not unless you specifically add that functionality. And how that is done can change with the version. How about we wait and see what that is so someone can give a proper answer? :wink:
-craig