Every thing Lost from Project

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

khanparwaz
Participant

Every thing Lost from Project

Post by khanparwaz »

Hi ,
i had faced a serious probelm today when i was working on designer,
suddenly datastage started thrwoing some error messages 'Directory structure not found' when i checked project directory i found their was nothing except few file how can i solve this problem ,can we restore directory structure as before on unix coz otherwise i will lose my 2 weeks hard work.

help me out pls
thanks in advance
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Not to sound cruel, but if you allowed 2 weeks of work to happen without periodically exporting and backing up your work, then it's really your fault you're in this situation. As a best practice, you should:

1. Automate nightly exports of all development projects
2. Automate nightly file system backups of all development projects
3. Periodically make your own personal backups in case someone/something else isn't doing their job.

If you go to the directory that houses the project and it's empty, chances are something did an "rm -r *" without a fully qualified path, or the path was a variable that evaluated to blank. In either case, this is a seriously beginner mistake in programming, which is never execute a recursive delete without ensuring you know exactly where the delete is going to begin. So I suggest you also figure out what did this so that it doesn't repeat.

To reconsistitute the project, you should try to find a backup to restore the directory, but unfortunately for you the recovery will put you back to how the project looked when it was backed up. After that, hunt around and find any and all ways to try to get some of your work recovered.

Worst case, start over. Your situation is no different then deleting the contents of c:\ without a backup. Sorry.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
trokosz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by trokosz »

Well, I believe your DataStage Project requires reindexing:

Make sure all individuals are logged out of [name of the Project]

cd DataStage home path

Logon as the DataStage Administrator
. ./dsenv
bin/dssh
LOGTO [name of the Project]
DS.REINDEX ALL
QUIT
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I think it's gonna take a wee bit more than reindexing to fix that problem. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers