uv command to create ds project

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Duly noted. :lol:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO UV.ACCOUNT(@ID, PATH) VALUES ('ProjectName', '/dir/dir/projecctdir');
You need to be in the UV account and in the dssh shell (uvsh shell) to execute this command.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
c_wf
Participant

Post by c_wf »

ray.wurlod wrote:

INSERT INTO UV.ACCOUNT(@ID, PATH) VALUES ('ProjectName', '/dir/dir/projecctdir');
You need to be in the UV account and in the dssh shell (uvsh shell) to execute this command.

Wow, you must be a genius! Gee. I just inserted a record. But DS still can not recongnize this new project. By the way, do you know what's command to show the table structure, like the "DESC TABLE" of Oracle? Thanks again!
bored to death
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

c_wf,

the entry for a DataStage project in the UV.ACCOUNT file requires one additional field to be entered, the "NAME" column needs to have a string with a certain syntax in it. The values depend upon your version and license - you can use a SQL select or a DS "LIST" command to to show the values for another project on the same system and copy that value. I haven't followed the whole thread, but even though making this change will allow the DS clients to "see" the DS project I don't know if that is going to be enough. Keep up posted.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Oops, forgot about the NAME column! :oops:

SELECT @ID, NAME, PATH FROM UV.ACCOUNT;
to see what Arnd means. You can probably figure out what you need to do to update or replace your particular entry.

If you're bored to death, why not establish your own personal centre of excellence in DataStage documentation, leaving all your DataStage jobs in a state such that a future developer will need to waste no time whatsoever figuring out what jobs do and which jobs are related to which?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
c_wf
Participant

Post by c_wf »

Thanks, Arnd and Ray!

'SELECT NAME FROM UV.ACCOUNT', I got different name for different projects. Such as 'DataStage\7.1\hostname\123456' and 'DataStage\7.1\hostname\123456'.

I don't know how DS assign that number. I inserted a new record with NAME = 'DataStage\7.1\hostname\123456'. After I assigned 'DataStage\7.1\hostname\123456' to my new uv account, DS did see the new project :D

But when I tried to log in, I got the following message:

Error calling subroutine: DSR_NLS (Action=14); check DataStage is set up correctly in project t2
(Unable to load subroutine on host (30105))

Error calling subroutine: DSR_PROJECT (Action=1); check DataStage is set up correctly in project t2
(Unable to load subroutine on host (30105))

:shock:

I am working on a conversion team in a DW project with DS, PL/SQL and KSH. I have finished all my work so far and waiting for the other teams. We have documentation template for every job and I believe I have done great documentation. So, I try to find some challenges. And it is fun to dig it out :P
Last edited by c_wf on Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bored to death
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's another phase. There are many verbs (references to routines) that have to be cataloged. Do you wish to proceed with this?

Get into another, "proper", account and execute the LISTV command. That shows all the verbs in the VOC file. Then switch to your newly-created project and LISTV again. A somewhat shorter list.

You can set up a pointer to the VOC file in the old, "proper" project and copy all verbs to the new project. If you are in the new project.

SET-FILE old_project_name VOC REALVOC
SELECT REALVOC WITH TYPE = "V" TO 1
SELECT VOC WITH TYPE = "V" TO 2
MERGE.LIST 1 DIFF 2 TO 0
COPYI FROM REALVOC TO VOC
The two SELECT statements generate Select Lists (lists of keys in memory). MERGE.LIST performs a set operation on them to produce the difference as a resultant Select List. The COPYI verb processes the keys in that Select List, consuming the Select List as it does so.
c_wf
Participant

Post by c_wf »

SET-FILE old_project_name VOC REALVOC
SELECT REALVOC WITH TYPE = "V" TO 1
SELECT VOC WITH TYPE = "V" TO 2
MERGE.LIST 1 DIFF 2 TO 0
COPYI FROM REALVOC TO VOC

:D Thanks a lot!

I have done whatever you said. But I got the following error message when I tried to log in:

Failed to attach to 't2'.

Cannot open file UV.ACCOUNT.

I tried "CLEAN.ACCOUNT", but I still cann't log in. :roll:
bored to death
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Can't open UV.ACCOUNT indicates a wider problem, which you may have introduced or may have just happened.

Get into the UV project via telnet, in dssh, and try a query against UV.ACCOUNT, such as

SELECT * FROM UV.ACCOUNT;
Let us know what error messages appear (if any).

Then try naming columns in the query.

SELECT @ID, NAME, PATH FROM UV.ACCOUNT;
Ditto.
c_wf
Participant

Post by c_wf »

>SELECT @ID,NAME,PATH FROM UV.ACCOUNT;
Account... Owner name...... NT pathname.............

UV d:\ascential\Engine
uv d:\ascential\Engine
main DataStage\7.1\JACOB\123456 d:\ascential\Projects\main

test1 DataStage\7.1\jacob\123457 d:\ascential\Projects\test1

t2 DataStage\7.1\JACOB\123456 d:\ascential\Projects\t2

t2 is the new project that I created manually. Projects main and test1 are fine.

Thanks
Last edited by c_wf on Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bored to death
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Jeez... you guys should get a room. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jono_fyfe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jono_fyfe »

I notice that you can also create a project from the Unix command line (your login must have admin status)
From $DSHOME dorectory:
bin/dsadmin -createproject <PRJ_NAME> -location <path>/<PRJ_NAME>

eg
bin/dsadmin -createproject DEV_ETL -location /opt2/dsprojects/DEV_ETL
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. :D

What you say is true now, but wasn't two years ago when the rest of the posts on this thread were made. Just goes to show that the vendor does listen occasionally!