impect of Buffer size and Timeout on a job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

singhald
Participant

impect of Buffer size and Timeout on a job

Post by singhald »

Hello Friends
I am facing a problem related to Buffer size and Time out in the performance tab in the Job propertise.
So can any one explain about buffer size and timeout.
what is the impect of buffersize and time out in the job ,
if we increase and decrease the buffer size what will happen and same for time out (if we increase the time out default 10s to 120s ) wht will happen.

thanks

Singhal
Regards,
Deepak Singhal
Everything is okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Buffer Size and timeout ... looks like you are using a named pipe or IPC stage. Is this correct?
singhald
Participant

Post by singhald »

hello Arndw
i m using link collector and link partitioner in my job,i did 6 partition in my job . using link partitioner.

Thnks

Singhal
Regards,
Deepak Singhal
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

OK, but where are you specifying your buffer size and timeout in these two stages (which I think you can't)? Are you referring to the buffer size and timeout values as part of the job attributes? Do you have IPC stages? Just a bit more information from your side and you might get an answer you can use...
singhald
Participant

Post by singhald »

hi Arndw
i am specifying the buffer size and time out in the job properties of my job. i m using a multiprocessor system to run my job. In my job i dont have any IPC stage.

Thnks

Singhal
Regards,
Deepak Singhal
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Singhald,

you might not be using explicit IPC stages, but by specifying inter-process buffering you are effectively making all of your active stages into separate process that communicate with the other stages via named pipes - so you are ending up doing IPC.

A pipe between processes can be visualized something like a bathtub. The writing process fills the tub with water, the reading process is the drain and empties the bathtub. Your buffer size is the size of the bathtub. If the filler & emptier are working at about the same speed, then the size of the bathtub really doesn't matter. The buffering effect comes when one or the other only works in bursts; then you want the tub to be full enough to let the draining continue when filling stops or that there is enough room to fill up for a while if the draining stops.

The timeout is just used as an abort. If the tub is empty/full and the waiting process has to wait for longer than the the timeout interval an error is raised - the assumption is that the something has gone wrong with one of the processes and the job is made to abort.
singhald
Participant

Post by singhald »

hello Arndw

this is very beautiful example for me ,
My job issuing a fatal error message ds_ipcput - timeout waiting for mutex, so what is the reason behind this message.
can you please explore it to me . why this error is comming in job.

Thanks
Singhal
Regards,
Deepak Singhal
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Singhald,

why didn't you ask along these lines in the beginning? Fortunately, there are now 35 distinct threads on this subject that doing a search for "timeout waiting for mutex " will retrieve.
singhald
Participant

Post by singhald »

hello Arndw

i am sorry. but i have put a topic on this but i didnt get any help related to this.
and very very thx for you , Now i am searching this..

Singhal
Regards,
Deepak Singhal
deepesh
Participant

Post by deepesh »

Can u try one more time plz to give the reason of the following warning:
Error in mutex_lock() - Invalid argument
Why this warning is coming?