DS and ASN.1 binary files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ppalka
Participant

DS and ASN.1 binary files

Post by ppalka »

Has any one some advices how to proccess ASN.1 files in datastage? I know that I can use some external coverter, but I am wondering if I can handle it without an external tool...

Best regards,
Piotrek
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

ppalka,

these files are structured ones with their own format rules; so reading such structures automatically from DS would be like reading XML and XSL - a non-trivial undertaking. So I doubt that IBM/Ascential will make such a plugin unless there is more of a business case. You are best off using an existing conversion program to make a simpler "flat file" for importing into DS.

The file structures aren't that difficult, so you could write some DS code to do this; but each file would need it's own programming so that wouldn't be too efficient if you have several file layouts.
ppalka
Participant

Post by ppalka »

Do you have some examples how to write that in DS? Maybe it would be easier to implement that in DSEE build op stage?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

ppalka,

no, I don't have examples. How and where you program this depends upon which programming language you are most comfortable with, both the DS routine and buildop approach will work. But it does need to be a program versus a line-by-line routine call because of the file structure (data can span physical file records).