Creating job from template

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Precious
Charter Member
Charter Member

Creating job from template

Post by Precious »

Hi All,

When creating a job from a template, you are requested to enter a job name for the job being created. If underscores are used, the 'Alphanumerics and Spaces are not allowed in job names' error is returned.

Is this a known issue? Because on completion [with the underscores removed] , I can rename the job with underscores with no problem.

Has anyone else come across this?

Thanks,
Precious

Mosher's Law of Software Engineering: Don't worry if it doesn't work right. If everything did, you'd be out of a job.
rleishman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rleishman »

Does anyone seriously use templates? In the training couse I was advised that they are stored on the client, not the server. What's more, I was also told that you could store them on a network drive (don't know whether this is true or not). This creates a deployment nightmare.

We just have a Server Job category of TEMPLATES in the DS repository. When you create a new job, you open the template job and SAVE AS a new job name.

The way my grapevine told it, DataStage is ranked against other ETL tools based on a series of known criteria. One of those is "Create Job from Template". Ascential wanted to be able to tick that box (so as not to lose an easy ranking point) whilst expending the least effort and expense developing a basically redundant feature. Hellooooo, Feature Bloat.
Ross Leishman
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I do make serious use of a Template, which contains the standard set of job parameters for the project. (Yes, I know, I should be pushing Parameter Manager.) We do put the template on a shared drive, and change the Registry to point to there.

The issue with underscores is a bug, pure and simple, probably programmers working to different specifications.

Specifications?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I gave it a serious tilt, we had a lot of dispersed users without much knowledge, I wanted templates to work so they could create new jobs without having to copy and rename existing jobs.

In the end the process for updating these templates was too time consuming, there were a few steps involved in loading a template, modifying it and saving it again.

It was difficult to set the template directory as most users couldn't change it once it was installed. They did not have update rights to the registry entry. (Big company, stern desktop policy). There was no way to guarantee that all users could access the same shared folder.

It just became easier to have a DataStage category called template jobs and to store actual jobs in there that people used for parameter management (via the parameter copy routine) and for new jobs (via copy, rename and move).

I think templates and wizards have only been half implemented and I am hoping they are something they get write in Hawk. The templates need to be stored on the server rather then the client and they need to be easier to update.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

rleishman wrote:Ascential wanted to be able to tick that box (so as not to lose an easy ranking point) whilst expending the least effort and expense developing a basically redundant feature. Hellooooo, Feature Bloat.
Shiny objects to dazzle the eye during sales presentations. Poor implementation on the backend...

Concept good, implementation bad. It's easier to just keep "template" jobs in a folder/project. The whole registry thing is a nightmare, plus client side to boot. You can't be on the network, you have to be on the Windoze network to see templates. Everything's stored in the DS repository and available in the .dsx file, except Templates? What's up with that?
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The problem I had was developers destroying the template jobs by opening them, developing in them, and clicking Save.

I maintain the templates on the shared drive using Notepad - a template is an XML-tagged DSX file.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rleishman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rleishman »

Good point Ray. For the "Template Folder" people out there, there was an interesting idea in a recent post to make jobs read-only by CHMODing the job files in the Project home directory.

Is this what it feels like to be off-topic?
Ross Leishman