uv command to create ds project

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

c_wf
Participant

uv command to create ds project

Post by c_wf »

Is there anyone who know how to use UV command or DSSH to create or clear DataStage project? I can create a universe account with uv, but I don't know how to let DataStage to recognize this account. And I can delete jobs in a project by "DELETE * FROM DS_JOBS", but I still don't know hot to clear the whole project by uv command or DSSH. Is ther anyone know the trick? Thanks
bored to death
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

There is no way and still have DS recognize the account as a valid project. The security mechanisms built into the tool disallow a project from being created by anything but the Administrator client or the install program. This is because of some of the internal files that are encrypted are pretty much impossible to hack.

As for deleting jobs from DS_JOBS, don't even think that does the trick. All you're doing is beginning to corrupt the internal model. That file only cross-references the jobname to an internal number used to create the supporting runtime files as well as store the actual job design information in the DS_JOBOBJECTS file.

If you need to drop a project, do it from the Administrator client. If you want to remove all jobs, do it from Manager and select all jobs and hit the Delete key. If it's folderized, go to Director and turn off Categories and then select all and hit the Delete key. That's the cleanest way, granted it's slow, but you won't have to rebuild the repository after you hose it doing adhoc deletes.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
c_wf
Participant

Post by c_wf »

Thanks. I knew the ordinary ways to create and delete projects you have metioned in your reply. I just want to know more about the mechanism of DS. By the way, do you know which tables store the exact job source codes? Are they RT_CONFIG1...n, RT_LOG,RT_STATUS,RT_BP? If so, is that possible to export those tables and import those tables to another DS Project instead of using Manager?
bored to death
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

You must be bored to death.

You could, if you so desire, "image" a project and copy the necessaries from one project to another at the OS level, or even at the TCL level. It's still Universe for the most part under the covers. You seem savvy enough, I'm sure given a little time you'll figure it all out. We've been doing those things for years now, this forum has a lot of history you can read up.

You just need to remember that copying files around at that level is all or nothing. A job #13 in one project could be job #42 in another. So, you're limited to taking the full contents of everything, including the VOC because of the D and F pointers there. Give yourself a break, when exporting a large number of jobs from a project, run multiple Managers simultaneously exporting different folders, and do the reverse on the import. An 8 hour export could be done in 2 hours running 6 exports concurrently. A 16 hour import could be done in 4 hours running 6 imports. Use a mass compile utility (search here), don't use Manager's new compile all, it's gawd awful slow.
Kenneth Bland

c_wf
Participant

Post by c_wf »

:lol:

I just created a "test" uv account, and then copy all the files under Template into it. And then "CLEAR.ACCOUNT". But DS still can not recognize this "test" account..........
bored to death
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Yep, you need to create the project first. Then, copy the all files from under one project folder into the new project folder. You should see everything exactly copied over. What you can't do is magick an account into a project.

Back in release 4 and prior DS was licensed by the project, now you get 999. They put a lot of controls and protection into keeping people from creating unlicensed projects.

Imagine buying a 2-project license.... unthinkable.
Kenneth Bland

c_wf
Participant

Post by c_wf »

:shock:
Wow, what a story.........

DS will create a RT_CONFIG1 file when I create a job. But why there's no content in that table? I used "SELECT * FROM RT_CONFIG1;"

Thank you so much!
bored to death
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

RT_CONFIGnnn is runtime configuration information. Run the job once and checkout the contents. Look at RT_STATUSnnn change as the job executes. Look at RT_LOGnnn to see log messages. Look at DS_JOBOBJECTS and have a bucket ready in case you spill your dinner. :lol: Look at RT_BPnnn to see your job written out in DS BASIC.
Kenneth Bland

c_wf
Participant

Post by c_wf »

:lol:

I have thought DS_JOBOBJECTS just stores the compile object codes?:? But why the description field in DS_JOBOBJECTS is empty? I am wondering which table stores the pseudo codes(just like .dsx file) :?

Many thanks to you :D
bored to death
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

From a TCL prompt, do a SORT-ITEM DS_JOBOBJECTS to get a text dump, you'll see all the stage pieces and parts. Compile the job and look in RT_BPnnn at the text files there and you'll see your job design. Look in RT_BPnnn.o and you'll see the executables.
Kenneth Bland

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can not create a project with any of the commands you're thinking of. It must be created with CREATE SCHEMA so that appropriate entries are made in the SQL Catalog. It also creates an entry in UV.ACCOUNT if done properly.

Next, you must copy all files from the Template schema, which has all the necessary hashed files for a project (the DS_...) files and their dictionaries and the dictionaries for the RT... files.

VOC entries must be created for all these hashed files. Various methods are available, such as CLEAN.ACCOUNT. The installation mechanism uses a BASIC program, of course, for which source code is not provided.

You must set operating system permissions appropriately, then configure security via DataStage roles.

Isn't it so much easier to click the Add button in the Administrator client?

This advice ceases to be correct with effect from the Hawk release.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
c_wf
Participant

Post by c_wf »

Wow, the following is what I have done:

1. Create a new folder 'test';
2. Go to 'test' and enter 'UV' to create universe environment;
3. 'CREATE SCHEMA test';
4. copy files from template folder;

But I still do konw how to add a record into UV.ACCOUNT. Maybe that's the reason that DS can not recognize this project.....
bored to death
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Out of a sense of morbid curiousity, the same kind that causes people to slow down and look a little closer at a messy accident, why are you going through all this who-ha when (as noted) a simple button push will accomplish the same thing for you? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
c_wf
Participant

Post by c_wf »

:( I am bored to death :roll:
bored to death
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Duly noted. :lol: