Job Status returns 1 even though Oracle msgs raised

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ekareem
Participant

Job Status returns 1 even though Oracle msgs raised

Post by ekareem »

Hi,
I am running a DS server job from HP UX and at the end of the run I get the return code = 1

Job Status : RUN OK (1)

When I checked in the DS Director, there were few Oracle warnings.

My question is how to accurately determine the job status and identify that there are Oracle warninings when running a job from UNXI ksh?

Thanks.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
A job that has warning messages in the log should not return RUNOK with status 1; it will return RUNWARN with status 2.
So can you make clear what is the actual scenario?

for one if you take a sequemce job and run a job activity in it that finished with warnings and didn't check the box for writing wanrining in log for activities finishing with status other then RUNOK you'll get what you have a job with status of RUNOK for the sequence job.

If your case is really simple job that has warnings in it's log and the status you see is RUNOK when getting it via dsjob then contact your support!

Also bare in mind that the status you get is only of the last run of that job!

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
ekareem
Participant

Post by ekareem »

Hi Roy
Thanks for your help.

The warning I am getting is an Oracle warning and it appears in an DataStage INFO message (not a warning as I have probably described).

However, it is still a warning - It reads like this:

<date><time>info<program name><The column(3) in row(2) cannot be converted. See next Oracle message for details.

now since it is considered an INFO for datastage, it seems that datastage thinks that this is not bad but in reality it is.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That's a new one on me... I take it there is no "next Oracle message"? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ekareem
Participant

Post by ekareem »

This error message was generated when a column was truncated during insert to the table.

Thanks for your help.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I've worked with Oracle for years and don't recall ever seeing that particular message. For completeness sake, could you let us know what stage you are using to write to Oracle? An OCI stage? What type of field - VARCHAR2, NUMBER? Was there a mismatch in the metadata?

Where was the 'truncation' happening - before Oracle inside the job (which happens based on the metadata) or was it rejected by Oracle? Oracle doesn't truncate anything, rather it rejects it if a value won't fit into the target column.

I'm guessing the latter though as, when DataStage does it, it very specifically says it is doing it and then shows you the 'before' and 'after' version of whatever was being truncated. For example, saying that "ABCD" was truncated to "ABC". There is no Oracle error involved.

A little more information would really help others with the same problem when they come searching here.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers