Executing a job by sending an SMS

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

celmolye
Participant

Executing a job by sending an SMS

Post by celmolye »

Hi,

I was given the task to find uot if it's possible to execute / run a job remotely by sending an SMS from your mobile phone to the server. Apparently somebody is doing it somewhere.... Does anyone know of this solution being implemented and how does it work?

Thanks
Celmo
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

There's 2 ways to start a job: use Director client or use dsjob command line.

My guess is that they simply are using the dsjob command line interface to execute the commands to start a job. This isn't rocket science, some watchdog script waits for whatever mechanisms to tell it that it is time to start a job running.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There's nothing within DataStage itself, but you can have a continuously-running process checking email (send SMS through email gateway) and generating an appropriate dsjob command.

If you have version 7.5 you can also have the Director client on a PDA device, and start jobs that way.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rleishman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rleishman »

You don't even have to monitor the email. Talk to your Unix sysadmin about setting up a mail alias that passes incoming email to a shell script rather than a mail box.

The shell script strips off the email header, finds the job name in the email body, and executes dsjob.
Ross Leishman