version control process

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

djoni
Participant

version control process

Post by djoni »

My development EE server is on a different AIX system from my EE production server.
Do I need to have VC on both systems?
How do I do promote my jobs that have been initiliazed (and tested of course) in the development system to the production system using VC?
djoni
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Version Control is a client tool. The Version Control repository(s) live on your server, typically your development server but could technically be anywhere I suppose.

As to how it works - read the manual and/or the online help. Chapter 2 outlines the Methodology and lays the foundation for the specifics that come in the later chapters.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
djoni
Participant

Post by djoni »

I have seen one manual: Version Control Guide Version 7.5 June 2004 Part No. 00D-017DS75.
And, I have also used the online 'help' in the product installation.
Is there any other material?
djoni
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Only DSXchange and Ascential Developer Net
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
djoni
Participant

Post by djoni »

Here's my plan.
I'll install one VC client for my developer, another one for my production staff. I'll set up a VC project in the Development server. The developer is responsible to move (initialize and promote to test) his project components within the Development server. Only the production staff is allowed (authorized) to promote to the Production server.
(I'll grow the number of VC client installation as needed, but the scheme will be the same, as above)
Will this work? Any better idea?
djoni
chulett wrote:Version Control is a client tool. The Version Control repository(s) live on your server, typically your development server but could technically be anywhere I suppose.

As to how it works - read the manual and/or the online help. Chapter 2 outlines the Methodology and lays the foundation for the specifics that come in the later chapters.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Your strategy is OK. But...

Only the production staff is allowed (authorized) to promote to the Production server.

How are you going to restrict access to the Production server? You basically have two choices; to use the role-based mechanism with different groups for Production, or to make Production a protected project and have these staff in the business manager role.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.