Configure DB2 Connect Driver on AIX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jeredleo
Participant

Configure DB2 Connect Driver on AIX

Post by jeredleo »

We are migrating DS from a Windows 2000 environment to an AIX environment. We have been and will be using DB2 connect for connections to DB2, however I am having problems trying to figure out and configure DS to use the IBM DB2 ODBC DRIVER for the ODBC connections. Can someone help me with this?

Thanks,
JB :?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

That is a sales-type of open question; the answer is "Yes", there are a number of people here who have done this and can help.

But you need to tell us what you've tried and what the results (i.e. error messages) were.
jeredleo
Participant

Post by jeredleo »

Good point. Here is what I know. We did the general installation of DS on the AIX box and included all stages. We have also installed DB2 Connect on the server and we have DS configured to look at the Instance information of DB2 Connect which we did in the dsenv file for DataStage. For the General ODBC setup, we are right now using the Wire Protocol driver that comes with DataStage by setting up the .odbc.ini file and the .uvodbc.config file(s). I do know the Path to the IBM DB2 ODBC Driver.

What I want to do; is instead of using the Wire Protocol Driver that comes with DS for the ODBC stages, I want to use the DB2 Driver that comes with DB2 connect.

What I don't know; how to get DS to use the DB2 driver. I haven't tried anything yet because I don't know where to start. So, I am, and have been, looking for instructions on how to get DS to recognize and Use the DB2 driver and I don't know what the configuration information that is needed for the Driver to work.

Is there anything else that I could provide to give anyone an idea of where I am at?

I appreciate the help.

Thanks,
JB
jeredleo
Participant

Post by jeredleo »

Thanks for the info, we have these set up in the dsenv file. What does the .odbc.ini and the uvodbc.config file need to look like?
bmadhav
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by bmadhav »

If u are going to use the DB2/UDB plug-in, u do not need to make any entries in the .odbc.ini and unconfig files for the DB2 server u are accessing. All u need to do is catalog the DB2 instance on the AIX server.
Whatever was suggested by "lstsaur" shd be sufficient to get u going.

Bindu Madhav
jeredleo
Participant

Post by jeredleo »

Some processes use the DB2 Stage others use the DB2/UDB driver. There are specific situation why we need to use the ODBC connection. One is that if we want to process multi row returns from a lookup, the ODBC stage is the only stage that allows this. So, we need to get the ODBC connections to use the DB2 Driver.

Thanks,
JB
bmadhav
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by bmadhav »

Try this. This works for us:

Code: Select all

.odbc.ini file entries
==============

[<enter DataBaseName>]
Driver=/usr/ascential/Ascential/DataStage/branded_odbc/lib/VMdb220.so
Description=DataDirect 4.20 DB2 Wire Protocol D20ver
Database=<enter DataBaseName>
GrantAuthid=PUBLIC
GrantExecute=1
IpAddress=<enter IP addr>
IsolationLevel=CURSOR_STABILITY
Instance = <enter instance name>
LoginID=
Password=
TcpPort=<enter port>

uvodbc.. file
===============
<<enter DB Name>>
DBMSTYPE = ODBC
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Beware that the uvodbc.config file requires a space either side of the "=" character, while these are forbidden in the .odbc.ini file. Ah, consistency!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.