datastage oracle compatibility questions

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pxr87
Premium Member
Premium Member

datastage oracle compatibility questions

Post by pxr87 »

We are using datastage 5.2 (with oraoci8 plugin for oracle 8i ) and planning to go to datastage 7.5 with oracle9 or oracle 10g.

1. we heard of utility to upgrade all the oraoci8 plugins to ORAOCI9 for oracle 9 upgrade. if we have to use oracle 10g. what is the procedure ?. I heard that they have to be converted to ORAOCI stage. If so are there any utilities to convert from ORAOCI8 to ORAOCI in datastage 7.5

2. can we use both ORAOCI8 for oracle 8 and ORAOCI for 10g in a singel job with datastager server 7.5 ?

3. we are using 32 bit hash files in datastage 5.2 and we want to go for 64bit datastage 7.5. Are there any procedure to move the data ?
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

1. The utility works well. It changes your OCI8 to OCI stages in release 7.1+. The OCI stage formerly was for Oracle 7.3, but that support is dropped in 7.1+ so they rebranded OCI for 9. There's no OCI10 stage. To work with 10g database, use OCI9 and Oracle 9.2 client 32 bit libraries.

2. No. OCIs have to match the client. OCI --> XFM --> OCI should work, they're both using Oracle 9.2 client, but the first OCI can point to an 8i database and the second can point to a 9i or 10g database, no worries.

3. Dump to flat file and reload into 64BIT, or search the forum for RESIZE syntax to change hash files.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi And Welcome Aboard :),

1. In your Install CD under Utilities\Unsupported\Oci82Oci9 you'll find the utility+readme file.

2. Were working with DRS using Plugin OCI configured to OCI 8 client and so far tests we made worked fine with 10g.
There were some recomendations by someone here to use OCI9 client to interact with both 10g and 8 versions of Oracle DB.

3. It was already said by the top posters here that having the overhead of using 64BIT hash files system wide on 32BIT machines has overheads not worth having (unless you really need all (including repository) hash files to be 64BIT.
It is better to build only the files you really need as 64BIT to be that way.
So you'll need to resize you hash files or perhaps rebuild new ones as 64BIT.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org