Datastage Version

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sainath
Premium Member
Premium Member

Datastage Version

Post by sainath »

Hi
I am wondering which datastage version is compatible to oracle 10g.
THKs
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

By compatible, you mean using the Oracle OCI stages? The answer is complicated, becuase the OCI client libraries supplied with Oracle work with specific databases.

DS has OCI8 and OCI9, so if you're using OCI9, the Oracle 9i client works with 10g database. The OCI8 with Oracle 8i client works with 10g database.

DS 7.1+ calls OCI9 just OCI, but DS 6.0- has OCI and OCI8, where OCI is Oracle 7.3.

So, if you're on DS 7.5 Windoze, you're okay to use the OCI9 stage with Oracle 9i client to talk to 10g.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Stage type versioning is separate from versioning of the base product. This is one of the great advantages of the "plug-in" architecture - a new version of a stage type can be introduced without needing to create a new version of DataStage.

And then, since Oracle preserves a certain level of backwards compatibility between its versions, the characteristics that Ken explained also work - though a more recent version of a stage type is more likely to be able to access newer features in the database.

Be careful also to match the stage type with the version of the Oracle client software that you have installed (the version 9 stage type can not work with version 8 Oracle client), and that you have the 32-bit libraries for the client findable ahead of the 64-bit libraries for DataStage processes.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.