user defined sql not working

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bangorlad@hotmail.com
Participant

user defined sql not working

Post by bangorlad@hotmail.com »

Hi,
I have an odbc stage where I firstly want to delete records which are resident within the input based on a particular field and then insert them.
The SQL is;

DELETE FROM db_UK_Directory.dbo.tbl_Contact WHERE intOUID = intOUID;
INSERT INTO db_UK_Directory.dbo.tbl_Contact(intOUId, vchrFunction, vchrDirectTelNo, vchrDirectFaxNo, vchrCustTelNo, vchrCustFaxNo) VALUES (?,?,?,?,?,?);

I get the warning;

A2300B_UpdatePatchTables..Map_fields.L03: DSD.BCIPut call to SQLExecute failed.
SQL statement:DELETE FROM db_UK_Directory.dbo.tbl_Contact WHERE intOUID = intOUID;
INSERT INTO db_UK_Directory.dbo.tbl_Contact(intOUId, vchrFunction, vchrDirectTelNo, vchrDirectFaxNo, vchrCustTelNo, vchrCustFaxNo) VALUES (?,?,?,?,?,?)
SQLSTATE=HY009, DBMS.CODE=0
[DataStage][SQL Client][ODBC][DataDirect][ODBC lib] Invalid argument value

intOUId = 99999
vchrFunction = ""
vchrDirectTelNo = "0845 6080371"
vchrDirectFaxNo = "0131 6624053"
vchrCustTelNo = ""
vchrCustFaxNo = ""

If I take either one statement out they run fine.

I have split them into two links coming from a transformer stage but I am getting incorrect results.

Anybody got any ideas?
Thanks.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Yeah, you can't do 2 statements. It's fundamentally not the way it works. There's a tabular stream of data going into the ODBC stage, the SQL is then prepared. Your 2 statements don't work. The delete works because it doesn't care about the stream, the second works because it does. Together, it can't be prepared.

So, do the delete first in a separate job. Your SQL is curious, I think I'm missing something. The where clause is WHERE intOUID = intOUID, which seems to delete the entire table. Why not use the generated SQL action to do that very thing for you seamlessly?
Last edited by kcbland on Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ketfos
Participant

Post by ketfos »

Hi Ken,
Does that mean that you cannot have more than one user defined sql in datastage (Query Type)

Ketfos
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

ketfos wrote:Does that mean that you cannot have more than one user defined sql in datastage
I don't believe so. That's what the before/after SQL tabs do on the OCI stages. The SQL statement is not a script, it's a prepared statement like a cursor, which accepts streaming tabular data. Now, I could be wrong, but that is my understanding.

Not to get sidetracked, my point is that it looks like a clearing of the table and then loading, which the generated SQL handles by first issuing the delete statement, and then preparing the insert statement.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle