Job process id

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kcshankar
Charter Member
Charter Member

Job process id

Post by kcshankar »

Hi,

Can anyone tell me or show me the link, what the Job process id gives.

Does it give a job id which DS generates for every job or
a process id while running the job.

I could see that for every run it gives different id.

Is there any relation between JoBPID and DS_USERNO.

In output iam getting JOBPID is 24420 and
In log file,it shows DS_USERNO=-24420

Thanks in advance
kcs
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

If you run a process in UNIX then it assigns a process id or PID that it is unique at the time of the run. These numbers are reused at some point. So tomorrow or next week you could get the same number but no 2 processes will have the same PID at the same time. UNIX gives you several commands to view processes and kill processes. You should kill DataStage processes with Director.

ps -ef # will list every processes in a full way or all columns

kill PID # where PID = the process id like kill 123 will kill process 123

Windows also has PIDs but the commands to kill them are different.
Mamu Kim
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

There are also DataStage Engine commands to also deal with these processes. These are called TCL commands. Do a search. Most are easily accessed by using the DS.TOOLS menu.
Mamu Kim
loveojha2
Participant

Post by loveojha2 »

Hi Kim,

There can be many instances uvsh.exe (on windows) be seen in task manager, are all these separate processes or these are child processes of a master process? and when we say process ID of a job, which instance of uvsh.exe we are talking about?

Thanks in advance.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Server jobs run uvsh executing the program DSD.RUN. Active stages can run in child processes, also running uvsh. For example, Transformer stages execute the program DSD.StageRun. So, yes, there will be multiple uvsh processes.

Process IDs are allocated by the operating system. "User numbers", also known as "port numbers" are allocated by DataStage. They're not necessarily the same (though they are on Windows platforms). Process IDs are unsigned integers, but are reported as signed integers by some tools. To convert, add the negative number to 65536.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.