We have added extra CPUs then we got Extra Problems!!!

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

alraaayeq
Participant

We have added extra CPUs then we got Extra Problems!!!

Post by alraaayeq »

We have Sun Solaris 9 working on 8 CPUs, this platform is running with many applications and one of them is Ascential Datstage 7.5.recently, we realized that the CPUs are 0% idle in many different hours per day ,so we decided to upgrade.

once we did that , the DS starts to log a warning messages saying "WARNING: DataStage has found more CPU's on your system (12) than your current license allows ( 8 ). Please contact Ascential Client Support or your Ascential Account Manager."This caused the jobs to have different finish status and this lead to many aborting jobs as well....

can we suppress these warnings ? and what is the proper way to deal with it? is DS stage now working on 12 CPUs or 8 CPUs?

Many Thanks
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

alraaayeq,

this is something you need to clear up with your DataStage sales representative. DataStage licensing is based upon the number of processors, you purchased a license that lets you run DataStage on this system with 8 cpus, but you have put in more and that is a violation of your contract with IBM/Ascential. DataStage, on a system such as yours, cannot limit itself to run on just n out of m CPUs; that is a function limited to the OS.

Talk to IBM and I'm sure they'll come up a suitable upgrade license (for a fee, of course).
alraaayeq
Participant

Post by alraaayeq »

Hmmm!

I did not know that !!, even I was not involved in any license deals with Asential...for sure the company that I worked with is not aware of such what you called "violation" neither do I !!

Thanks for your advice..
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

No Problem, it is not as if a group of dark-suited "license Police" are going to come crashing into your data centre to impound the machine :o

The difficulties are not so simple with CPU-based pricing. The last client I was at was running on IBM hardware and activated SMT (simultaneous multi-threading) which effectively doubles the CPUs listed; so DataStage suddenly started complaining about too many processors as well.

I guess no matter what licensing policies a software developer chooses some problem will show up, somewhere.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Apart from buying more licences, there's no way to suppress this warning. :x
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You could always remove the 'illegal' CPUs. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers