Job Sequence Compilation Error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bapajju
Participant

Job Sequence Compilation Error

Post by bapajju »

Hello,

While compiling a Job Sequencer, I am getting the below mentioned error.

<JobSeqGenError>
<Code>2017</Code>
<Desc>XML parser error on input line 0: source='', reason='The system cannot locate the resource specified.
'</Desc>
<LineNum>0</LineNum>
<Line></Line>
<Ref></Ref>
<Version>7.5.1.18</Version>
</JobSeqGenError>

Any idea on this.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

You need write access to your c:\Program Files\Ascential\DataStage directory (or whatever equivelent directory your DataStage Client is installed to). Do a search through the archives for other threads on this error.
bapajju
Participant

Post by bapajju »

But I used compile this Sequencer till date and this sequencer used to run everyday. But all of a sudden I got this problem when I tried to compile this.
vmcburney wrote:You need write access to your c:\Program Files\Ascential\DataStage directory (or whatever equivelent directory your DataStage Client is installed to). Do a search through the archives for other threads on this error.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

bapajju wrote:But I used compile this Sequencer till date and this sequencer used to run everyday. But all of a sudden I got this problem when I tried to compile this.
What's changed? "Nothing" is not the correct answer. Are you using a different/changed PC?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
bapajju
Participant

Post by bapajju »

No nothing was changed. Only due to a wrong parameter value the Sequencer got aborted. So after changing the parameter value I had to recompile again.
ray.wurlod wrote:
bapajju wrote:But I used compile this Sequencer till date and this sequencer used to run everyday. But all of a sudden I got this problem when I tried to compile this.
What's changed? "Nothing" is not the correct answer. Are you using a different/changed PC?
srinagesh
Participant

Post by srinagesh »

Are you using files to store the parameter values ?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

"Nothing" is not the correct answer. Either you've run out of disk space on your client PC or you don't have write permission where you need it on that machine.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

The sequence job will run for any user who has a Director since it runs on the server. Compilation however occurs on the client. Therefore a sequence that has run successfully for weeks but wont compile indicates a problem on your client machine, ie no write access to the DataStage client directory.
bapajju
Participant

Post by bapajju »

Exactly. Somehow my access to the required project directory was removed due to some confusion and that created all this problem

Thanks a lot for the suggestion

ray.wurlod wrote:"Nothing" is not the correct answer. Either you've run out of disk space on your client PC or you don't have write permission where you need it on that machine.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This is a fairly common problem in sites where there is an SOE environment; that is, software is pushed out to PCs rather than allowing staff to install anything on their own PCs. "They" need to be informed that write permission is required to the DataStage installation folder, not just for job sequence compiling, but also for job template storage, generation of COBOL and JCL (mainframe jobs) and a few other odds and ends.
And you definitely have to have write permission to the Registry!
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I once had the DataStage client break on every desktop in a training room halfway through a training course due to a dll file pushed onto the computers overnight. Had to reinstall the client on all machines. After that we shut down the machines at the end of each day instead of leaving them on but logged off and at the mercy of overnight updates.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Been there done that. I must say, however, that I have found most IT departments who "push" software to be amenable to cogent discussion about DataStage clients' requirements, and usually happy to oblige in getting it right within their SOE procedures.