Director Log

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hemant
Participant

Director Log

Post by hemant »

Hi,

can it be possible that log genereted for my main sequencer in the director i can retrieve it in .txt file.I know that its system files .....
But that summary gives me a status of all my jobs in a brief ( i.e abort ,warning and finished) .
any alternatives ...
Plz. suggest ...and plz. i have tried a lot before i am sending .

thanks in advance..

Hemant
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Hello Hemant,

I am not sure what you are looking for, in the post viewtopic.php?t=95691&highlight=dsjob+log it was mentioned that you can use the command line utility dsjob to get the information you are looking for.

Do none of the 3 dsjob options give you what you are looking for?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In Director choose Print from the Project menu. Then, in the common print dialog, check the Print to File check box. You will get another dialog asking you to specify the file into which the (text) report will be written.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
hemant
Participant

Post by hemant »

ray.wurlod wrote:In Director choose Print from the Project menu. Then, in the common print dialog, check the Print to File check box. You will get another dialog asking you to specify the file into which the (text) report will be written.

Hello , Ray

Thanks for the option ,But i want this on my every run but with out manual support ....so that once my main sequencer is completed this file generate automatically.

Regards
hemant
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Aha! That requirement was not in the original post.

How about a DataStage job that moves the contents of the hashed file (or UV table) RT_LOGnnn into a text file? You could then build a job sequence that runs your main sequence than that server job.

Presumably the job number of the main job sequence will be fairly fixed, but could readily be determined with a Routine activity that was fed with the job sequence's job name. The job number could then be supplied to the final job as a job parameter.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
hemant
Participant

Post by hemant »

You mean to say that i have to access RT_LOGnnn hash file in which as a parameter i have to send my main seq name
but then i querie -
How to access this file .
How can i retrieve the latest log .

Regards
Hemant
djm
Participant

If you want to get a dump of the entire log ...

Post by djm »

Try this thread: viewtopic.php?t=95633. It provides you with the ability to dump the content of the log to a flat file. This may be what you are after.

David
hemant
Participant

Re: If you want to get a dump of the entire log ...

Post by hemant »

D wrote:Try this thread: viewtopic.php?t=95633. It provides you with the ability to dump the content of the log to a flat file. This may be what you are after.

David
Hi,
i have got one JobLogGet.xml .

I have to import it with a same name or i can use a different name for it .

and thanks for the reply.

Reagards
Hemant
djm
Participant

Post by djm »

import it with a same name
- do you mean the file or the routine?

You are able to name the file anything you want. Similarly, if you want just the routine, you could manually edit the XML and change the name, should it clash with a routine that you already have.

I recommend that you import each of the XML files in that thread - collectively they form the solution. You can pick and choose the bits you want as you see fit but it may be quicker for you if you take the whole lot.

David
hemant
Participant

Post by hemant »

D wrote:
import it with a same name
- do you mean the file or the routine?

You are able to name the file anything you want. Similarly, if you want just the routine, you could manually edit the XML and change the name, should it clash with a routine that you already have.

I recommend that you import each of the XML files in that thread - collectively they form the solution. You can pick and choose the bits you want as you see fit but it may be quicker for you if you take the whole lot.

David

To be true actually i am confused with whole file n routine stuff XML format could you plz. provide me the .dsx file where i can get the log of my latest main sequencer job and its usage .

sorry for the inconvenience

Hemant
djm
Participant

Post by djm »

Hermant,

using the XML from the post should be fairly straight forward. For each block of code in the post:
1) highlight the code and copy it
2) paste it into notepad
3) save the file with a distinct name

Then use the import functionality within DataStage manager and pick the XML files one by one.

David
celmolye
Participant

Post by celmolye »

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Datastage (working on it for about a week) and I've done what you said with copying the xml as is, Importing it, but now I can't find it...... where do I look ?

Thanks for the help
CL
djm
Participant

Post by djm »

The routine is in the folder \Routines\Custom\JobLog. Ensure it is compiled before the job. The job will be located in (I think!) \jobs\Util\Admin.

Shout if you can't find it in there.

David
celmolye
Participant

Post by celmolye »

Hi,

Thanks, I've uploaded everything and chagned a few of the stuff, but now I have the issue where when I run the job (JobLogDump), my output file is empty. Anything I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
CL
djm
Participant

Post by djm »

(Discusion taken off-line via private messaging to diagnose issue. Will post conclusion).