Upgrade from 4.1 to 7.5

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

akrzy
Participant

Upgrade from 4.1 to 7.5

Post by akrzy »

Hello,
We are preparing to upgrade Datastage from version 4.1 to 7.5
Additionally we want to change pltaform from Windows to Unix.
I've read in .pdf that it is possible.
But I would like to know is it safe?
Could you give me advise what kinds of issue I can meet?

Thanks,
Anka
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Yes it's safe. Change every job that uses a Sequential stage to have the correct slashes and file types for unix. Change all ExecSH calls to have the appropriate slashes as well. Change all DSExecute calls to have the Unix platform option, as well as any slashes. Update any BASIC functions, routines, or Batch jobs that uses platform specific commands.

After that, Search this forum for previous issue discussions when spanning such a large leap in versions.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
akrzy
Participant

Post by akrzy »

Do you know which stages were changed and what happen if I try to import project (version 4.1) with old stages into new project (verion 7.5)?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

All of your old project work will import into version 7.x

You might have to change some jobs because of the new parameter handling (in older versions you could change job parameters within the job, that is no longer allowed and causes jobs to fail).

Since Server jobs are compiled within the engine there are no platform-specific settings apart from paths, as Ken already mentioned.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

There are a couple major, job impacting changes from release 4 upwards. Link ordering was changed, therefore all reject links have to be the last in the order or they don't work. Functions changed to arguments being passed by reference, not actual value. Any Function that changed passed argument values now cause abnormal terminations under certain circumstances. Search the forum for these discussions.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle