unable to connect

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rkdatastage
Participant

unable to connect

Post by rkdatastage »

Hi

i am facing this message when i am connecting to Datastage Administrator tool.

Failed to connect to host: alpha.iml.com, project: UV
(The connection was refused or the RPC daemon is not running (81016))

can any one help me with your ideas

Thanks in advance
rk
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well... the first thing to check would be the problem it suggested - is the RPC 'daemon' running on your server? Less certain on a Windows server but it would be running as a service there and you'd need to see if it shows as Started.

Assuming, of course, that you cannot connect at all - not just having this problem with the Administrator but with all client tools.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you're on Windows XP sp2, this error can also occur if the network card is inactive. Make sure that you're connected to a LAN of some kind. It's weird, the other machine in the network doesn't even have to be on, but the cable must be plugged in. It may even be enough to be plugged in to an active hub (I have not checked this).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

ping alpha.iml.com from your PC to make sure alpha.iml.com is in your hosts.ini file. If that isn't getting thru, you need to get that DNS into your hosts.ini file after obtaining the IP address.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Try using the IP address rather than the host name in the DataStage connection dialog.

Let us know how you fared.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.