sequential stage with multiple input links

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kollurianu
Premium Member
Premium Member

sequential stage with multiple input links

Post by kollurianu »

Hi All,

Can i have a sequential stage with multiple input links ?

Can are OCI stage have multiple input links to the same table with different update options for each link .

Please clarify me,

Thank you all,
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Multiple write links to a sequential stage are possible, but only if each link has a different sequential file to write to.

Multiple write links to a table are possible.
kollurianu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kollurianu »

Thanks Arnd for your answer,

But what is the advantage of having single sequential stage but writing to different files for each link , over writing to different files with multiple sequential stages.

Thank you all for your time and help,
kollurianu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kollurianu »

Adding to point to the previous post ,

can i have different metadata in each file it is writing but to one sequential stage.

Thank you all again,
LogicDude
Participant

Post by LogicDude »

Yes, offcourse you can have different metadata for each file you are writing to even though you are using one sequential stage. It's exactly same as we write to a database with multiple links. You need to select the proper input name in the drop down list and load the corresponding metadata.

About the advantages, well when we write to a table in a database, (say for example, SQL server), using a single stage avoids locks.

But in sequential file stage I don't see any other advantage rather than have less number of stages on the designer board.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

LogicDude,

uncluttering the desktop is the only effect that I can think of.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In older releases of DataStage, the directory was a stage property and only the file entry name was a link property, so you needed separate Sequential File stages for each separate directory.

This is no longer the case.

Even so I prefer still to use separate Sequential File stages, because I tend to document things thoroughly - so I can put an Annotation beside each where required. "This file contains input records rejected because the Location Code is not on file." Even managers (PHBs) can understand.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.