Installation of DS.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vimali balakrishnan
Participant

Installation of DS.

Post by vimali balakrishnan »

Hi,

Which is better? Installing DS Server and client on the same machine or on different machines?Why?

can anyone help me out on what all constraints should be considered while installing DS Server and DS Client.

Thanks,
Vimali.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Different.

You specified UNIX. The clients only run on Windows.

Please clarify your concept of "constraints".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Depending on which variant of UNIX you are using, you will need to change some kernel parameters. This is documented for your particular platform in the installation guide and in the readme file that ships with the software.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vimali balakrishnan
Participant

By default,de we need to install DataStage Server and Client on different machines? why do we need to install it in different macines?? Can you clarify me?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The clients do not run on UNIX.

You have specified that you have a UNIX-based server.

There is no way the same machine can run both UNIX and Windows at the same time.

That is why you need different machines.

The only exception is if you are running DataStage on Windows (which you specified you are not doing). Only then can clients and server be on the same machine, competing for finite resources.
Eric
Participant

Post by Eric »

You you may only install one DataStage Server machine, but you would want the DataStage Clients installed on a number of desktops (if you have a number of DataStage Users)
vimali balakrishnan
Participant

Thanks Ray, so if my DataStage Server is Unix then there should be a dedicated machine which will be my DataStage Server and I can install DataStage Client on different desktops right other than server right..

Thanks,
Vimali.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not "can". "Must".

The clients do not run on UNIX. They must, however, be able to connect to the UNIX machine on which DataStage server is running via TCP/IP. By default port number 31538 is used, so this must not be firewalled.