Create Table / Drop Table error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gradkarthik
Participant

Create Table / Drop Table error

Post by gradkarthik »

Hello

I have a job which just loads data from a sequential file to a SQL Server table and i use and ODBC stage to accomplish this. however i have create table enabled and drop table disabled. that means if the table already exists in the database then the ODBC stage should essentially give an error while executing the create table statements.

the job runs fine without any error of that kind inspite of the table existing on the database. I have seen the same kind of behaviour with hashed files when the delete file before create is not checked but still the job runs everytime without an error.

The version of datastage I am running is 7.0.1.
Has anyone else experienced this kind of behaviour with DS?
Thank You
Karthik
ketfos
Participant

Post by ketfos »

Hi,
HAve you checked the job log and noticed what actual sql statements are executed by SQL sever?

Ketfos
gradkarthik
Participant

Post by gradkarthik »

Hi

I checked the log of the job but no warnings of any kind.

Code: Select all

FLATFILE_TO_SQL..ODBC1: Using project default NLS map MS1252

FLATFILE_TO_SQL..ODBC1: DSD.BCIConnect call to SQLConnect returned informational message.

As you can see, no kind of any warnings of any kind. One would expect a error msg to be returned by the SQL server.
Has anyone experienced the same kind of behavior?

Karthik
ketfos
Participant

Post by ketfos »

Hi Karthik,

Did you check into the details of log messages to see if actual sql was executed.

It should have command like CREATE table.... in the log.

Ketfos
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That message is returned from Informix if you are connecting to a table that has no logging. I vaguely recall there is an environment variable that you can set to prevent its being generated.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
gradkarthik
Participant

Post by gradkarthik »

Hi everyone,
I am using SQL server database. Ideally the SQL server database should return an error msg when a create table statement is encountered without a drop table statement first when the table is already existing in the database.

The job runs without any error. I think there is probably some database setting or ds setting that i havent enabled because of which this error is not getting logged.

The log of the job in DS does not have any helpful msgs to help solve this anomaly.

Any kind of inputs would be appreciated.
Thanks for your time.
Karthik