If hiredate is NULL, then..

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

If hiredate is NULL, then..

Post by gateleys »

Hi,
I have 2 dates, graduate_date and hiredate. I need to find the number of days between the two. However, if the hiredate is NULL, I need to set the numOfDays to 100, else Difference in days between the 2 dates.

Everything works, except that the NULL condition in the hiredate doesn't seem to be checked. I have a stage variable SVDays which is assigned -

Code: Select all

if IsNull(DSLink2.hiredate) then 100 else DateYearFirstDiff(DSLink2.hiredate, DSLink2.graduatedate)
Even with this, when the hiredate is NULL, I am getting the difference as 0, and not 100 as specified.
ketfos
Participant

Post by ketfos »

Hi,
I would suggest you to try as

if (DSLink2.hiredate) = char(128) then 100 else DateYearFirstDiff(DSLink2.hiredate, DSLink2.graduatedate)

Note - The null value is represented externally, as required, by a character string consisting of the single byte Char(128). At run time it is assigned a data type of null.

Ketfos
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: If hiredate is NULL, then..

Post by chulett »

gateleys wrote:Even with this, when the hiredate is NULL, I am getting the difference as 0, and not 100 as specified.
:!: Point of fact - your hiredate is not null or the check would in fact succeed. Question would be what is the source of this data - flat file, database, what?

Probably better to do something more generic that would catch a null or an empty string:

if Len(Trim(DSLink2.hiredate)) = 0 then 100 else DateYearFirstDiff(DSLink2.hiredate, DSLink2.graduatedate)
is one way.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: If hiredate is NULL, then..

Post by gateleys »

The source is ODBC pointing to SQL Server 2000, and the data type for hiredate is Timestamp. The SQL Server does show NULL in some records for the hiredate field. However, the check that I specified seems to fail to capture that, and takes the else path.
chulett wrote:
gateleys wrote:Even with this, when the hiredate is NULL, I am getting the difference as 0, and not 100 as specified.
:!: Point of fact - your hiredate is not null or the check would in fact succeed. Question would be what is the source of this data - flat file, database, what?

Probably better to do something more generic that would catch a null or an empty string:

if Len(Trim(DSLink2.hiredate)) = 0 then 100 else DateYearFirstDiff(DSLink2.hiredate, DSLink2.graduatedate)
is one way.
ketfos
Participant

Post by ketfos »

Hi,
Did you try using the char(128) as suggested earlier.

There is another way as follows - if that does not capture the null data

if (Trim(DSLink2.hiredate) < char(33) or Trim(DSLink2.hiredate) > char(127) ) Then 100 else DateYearFirstDiff(DSLink2.hiredate, DSLink2.graduatedate)

This will take care of unprintable characters in you data file.

Ketfos
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

THanks ketfos, the char(128) works. I still haven't understood the reason behind it thogh.
ketfos wrote:Hi,
Did you try using the char(128) as suggested earlier.

There is another way as follows - if that does not capture the null data

if (Trim(DSLink2.hiredate) < char(33) or Trim(DSLink2.hiredate) > char(127) ) Then 100 else DateYearFirstDiff(DSLink2.hiredate, DSLink2.graduatedate)

This will take care of unprintable characters in you data file.

Ketfos
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The system variable @NULL.STR is the "string representation of null" using which would avoid needing to evaluate Char(128) in every row processed.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.