Job Aborting with Runtime Stack Overflow

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

palmeal
Participant

Job Aborting with Runtime Stack Overflow

Post by palmeal »

I have a job sequence that has start loop - end loop activities built in and am having a problem that is happening consistently. After 256 iterations of the loop the job sequence falls over with the error shown below:

From previous run
DataStage Job 72 Phantom 12977
Program "JOB.223462050.DT.1377734115": Line 2375, Runtime stack overflow.
Attempting to Cleanup after ABORT raised in stage ExtractFundMeasurement.ST_PPSA.JobControl

DataStage Phantom Aborting with @ABORT.CODE = 3

This information is added to the director log after I reset the aborted job sequence. There is no other helpful information in the log apart from Job ExtractFundMeasurement.ST_PPSA aborted.

The number 257 scared me a little as it is too close to the binary number 256 but I have created a simple loop version that process past this point.

Can anyone help me with what the above error means as I am out of ideas for the moment - is it to do with resources ?

A little more about the job sequence -
A Sybase Server is connected to and data are written back to a file.
A Basic routine checks the content of the data file and either
(1) FTP's the data file to another server
(2) Update a SQL Server setting a flag that no data were found.

Data files can contain many thousands of rows.
After a file is FTP'ed it is removed from the file system.
For each loop iteration two DSLogInfo messages are written to the director log for each iteration.
There are no hash files.

It is not a data issue or failure with one particular item in the loop - each time this code is run a different item is at iteration 257.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Call support then post your code. Maybe we can help.
Mamu Kim
palmeal
Participant

Post by palmeal »

Sorry Kim but are you talking about official IBM/Ascential Support. I have logged a call with my administrators - they are the ones that are able to raise calls with support. Hopefully they will if they can't suss out what the problem is.

When you say post your code - are you referring purely to the BASIC code ?
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The code from the Job Control tab that is generated by compiling the Job Sequence is what is meant. Don't forget to wrap in in Code tags. :wink:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
palmeal
Participant

Post by palmeal »

No need to post my code as my issue is now fixed :) . I emailed support and they recognised the incident as "case 62595". They sent me a patch (vmdsjsgn.dll) and this has fixed the problem.

The actual description of the error is "Loop fails with runtime stack overflow at the 258 iteration if the loop includes a Sequencer stage."

Thanks to all who looked into this.