Log hangs when trying to view

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

splayer
Charter Member
Charter Member

Log hangs when trying to view

Post by splayer »

I have a job whose log I am trying to view. Whenever I click on view log, I see a message in the bottom left saying "Retrieving.." but it hangs. I waited for 25 minutes and then killed the Director. I had set the number of days to keep the log to 1 in the Administrator. I tried to delete any logs older than a day. It gave me a message saying "No log files to delete". Please help!!!
ian_bennett
Participant

Re: Log hangs when trying to view

Post by ian_bennett »

Try filtering the view (e.g. last 100 entries).
manojmathai
Participant

Post by manojmathai »

Hi

The view hangs because there are too many logs.
You try renaming the job. This will clear the logs for this job.
Later you run the job with less number of rows( may be 10 or 100) and find out the log that is created by the job.
Correct the error that run the job again.

Thanks
Manoj
splayer
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by splayer »

So there is no way to look at the log of the existing job? I don't want to lose the log records for this job that I already have.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sure... it's just that you've more than likely got tons of crap warning messages that there's no reason to keep once you see them.

Change your refresh interval in the Director to its maximum. Open the Log View on a job you can access. Set the filter to show a small number of records as already suggested. Then try to open the large log and... wait... wait... wait... until something is displayed. Patience is the key here. You'll have that new refresh interval to do something before it locks up again running through the log again.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can always force a refresh from the View menu, or Ctrl-R.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

I wonder what a dsjob log summery will show and how fast will it produce info :roll: .
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org