Datastage Processes

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

adarsh shrinagesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Datastage Processes

Post by adarsh shrinagesh »

Hi,

I have a confusion regarding the following the Datastage processes...that are visible thru the datastage Icon in the control panel and the task manager(Windows XP)

What is their significance ...

Datastage Engine resource Service -> tl_dsservice.exe
Datastage Telnet Service -> dsservice.exe

Thnx
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You've mismatched the service names and descriptions.

The DataStage resource service manages DataStage's shared memory and processes logins, allocating unique user numbers. If this is not running, then DataStage is not running.

The DataStage telnet service exists because Windows does not have its own native telnet service akin to UNIX's telnetd for handling incoming TCP requests on port 23. If this is not running, then you can not establish a telnet connection to DataStage unless through another telnet server (such as MKS).

You should also be aware of the DataStage RPC (DSRPC) service, which listens on TCP port number 31538 for inbound connection requests from DataStage clients. If this is not running, then you can not establish a connection from a DataStage client or any other requestor of the dscs service.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
adarsh shrinagesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

hi

Thnx for that

However my confusion stems from the fact that even though I end the following process(Datastage Engine resource Service - dsservice.exe) I can still connect to the server(which is on my local machine) and run the jobs.

The dsprcd however behaves according to my understanding.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Verify that dsservice.exe has truly stopped and not restarted. Do this through the Services applet, not the DataStage applet.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
adarsh shrinagesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Hi

It says stopped on the Services applet too!

DataStage Engine Resource Service Servive Stopped?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Check also in Task Manager. If dsservice.exe is genuinely not running, I dispute your assertion that "I can still connect to the server (which is on my local machine) and run the jobs."

I have stopped DataStage services on my machine (server on local Windows), and I can neither connect from DataStage jobs nor run jobs. This is how I would expect DataStage to behave.

Are you 100% certain that you're connecting to localhost?
adarsh shrinagesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

ray.wurlod wrote:Check also in Task Manager. If dsservice.exe is genuinely not running, I dispute your assertion that "I can still connect to the server (which is on my local machine) and run the jobs."

I have stopped DataStage services on my machine (server on local Windows), and I can neither connect from DataStage jobs nor run jobs. This is how I would expect DataStage to behave.

Are you 100% certain that you're connecting to localhost?

Hi

No luck!
Even if i stop and disable the process through the admin tools->services->DATASTAGE ENGINE RESOURCE SERVICE -> Stop n then Startup Type:disable ... I can still connect.

The task manager was where i was Ending the process (dsservice.exe) prior to using the admin tools.

and i am connecting to 127.0.0.1 - local host :-(
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Can you open a CMD shell and execute the command shrdump?

This command is located in the DataStage Engine bin folder. It provides a listing of the shared memory segments in use by DataStage processes.

It may be that you can connect soon after shutting down dsservice.exe because Windows has not yet "cleaned up" the shared memory segments. It may also be that there were already other clients or processes (running jobs?) still connected to them, which would also have the effect of preventing Windows from cleaning them up.

The command sh -c "ps -ef | grep ds | grep -v grep" can also be used to determine whether there are any DataStage processes running.
vaby
Charter Member
Charter Member

DataStage Telnet Service

Post by vaby »

Ray,

What are the consequences if we stop tl_dsservice.exe (DataStage Telnet Service)? Will it break anything?

Thanks,

Vladimir
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It will only "break" the ability to estabish a telnet session to DataStage. It will not affect anything else.
vaby
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by vaby »

So if we are not using telnet to manually connect to DataStage it's safe enough to disable it? And this service is not used as an underlying surface for any other DataStage processes, right?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That is correct.
quentin
Participant

Can't restart engine and telnet services (7.1 windows)

Post by quentin »

We have a problem (7.1 windows).
We lose all our connections from designer and director (error 81002).
But when we stop and restart the services, DSRPC restarts but the other two services won't restart.

In this "not started" condition I was able to open jobs using designer and compile and run them but I couldn't view the contents of hash files.
have you come across this problem before.
Is there a way of finding out why the engine is not starting? an error log or something?

Many thanks
rafik2k
Participant

Re: Can't restart engine and telnet services (7.1 windows)

Post by rafik2k »

quentin wrote:We have a problem (7.1 windows).
We lose all our connections from designer and director (error 81002).
But when we stop and restart the services, DSRPC restarts but the other two services won't restart.

In this "not started" condition I was able to open jobs using designer and compile and run them but I couldn't view the contents of hash files.
have you come across this problem before.
Is there a way of finding out why the engine is not starting? an error log or something?

Many thanks
U can still compile and run ur job even though DataStage Engine Resource Service and Telnet Service are stopped. Just guessing try to restart ur ds server and check these two services.

The error u getting is due to not properly setting up datastage project that is why ur onnection is breaking.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Etiquette Note
We do not hijack threads. If you have a new question, open a new thread.
We do prefer correctly-spelled personal pronouns. (There is now a poster from Burma called U, so this is even more important.)