Project not set up for Data Stage use error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chinek
Participant

Project not set up for Data Stage use error

Post by chinek »

Hi ,

I'm running DS 7.5 on Solaris 2.8
In DS Administrator, when I click on a project, an error msg pops up:

"Project prod is not set up for DataStage use:
Cannot open file DSR_JOBS"

Can this be fixed without having to reinstall the entire DS application ?
What could have caused this problem ? I can add new projects and the newly added projects seems to be fine and don't exhibit this error when I click on them but the old ones seems to be acting up.

Pls advise.

Thanks.
ketfos
Participant

Post by ketfos »

How was DS installed? Was it done under root?

Also can you connect using dsadm?

Ketfos
chinek
Participant

Post by chinek »

Yes it was installed under root and I am connecting using dsadm.
chinek
Participant

Post by chinek »

Is there another way to delete a project rather than going through the Administrator ? If so I can delete that project and recreate that project and reimport all my jobs. My problem now is that I can't delete that project using Administrator because when I click on the project in question, it just throws up the error message and that project disappears from the list box.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Chinek,

luckily we are in the 21st century and the bearer of bad news is no longer automatically sacrificed, right :cry: ?

It sounds like someone has been messing with your files from outside of DS; unless you've had a systems failure or a full disk in the middle of production.

It is odd that you have a DS_JOBS index file for alternate keys without the DS_JOBS file. In fact, it is ever odder that you have AKs defined for the DS_JOBS file in the first place. (let me retract that, I just checked and I have AKs defined for DS_JOBS at V7.5)

I just saw your latest posting. Since you know how to get "into" UV, go to the dsengine account and delete the entry for your project in the UV.ACCOUNT file ("DELETE UV.ACCOUNT prod") as well as your project directory. Best make a backup beforehand, though.

You said that your other projects are "acting up" so I'm not sure if removing this recalcitrant project is going to solve your problems, especially if you don't know what the possible cause could have been.
chinek
Participant

Post by chinek »

Hi Arnd

thanks for the info. I don't think it's bad news at all. I have backups of all the projects so it's relatively easy to fix.

Rgds
chinek
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DSR_JOB is not a file or table, it's a "helper subroutine". That it can't be found is grave news, and restoring from backup may or may not help, depending on why and how it's gone. It may be that the VOC, or "catalog" entry for this subroutine has been deleted, or that the executable (./DSG_BP.O/DSR_JOB.B) has been deleted.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
cdrk823
Participant

Post by cdrk823 »

Hi Everyone,

I just had experienced the said error, and I've done the steps you have described above, yet I still can't bring the server back up.

I've also tried DS.REINDEX-ing it and UVFIXFILE, and none of them seem to work.

I really, really need to fix this one. :cry:

Thanks in advance
chinek
Participant

Post by chinek »

Make sure before you run the REINDEX that all client sessions have been killed off and that your session in the ONLY session. If you can still create new projects then I suggest you reimport your jobs into a new project.
Then you can delete the problematic project.

Nick
cdrk823
Participant

Post by cdrk823 »

thanks for the suggestion.

there is a problem with that though. I'm not sure how old our last backup was. I think it was 2 weeks ago since we made it and there are a lot of new stuff created for those jobs.

is there a way that i can create a backup without the ability to log in using the clients? how can i import this after i create another project?

thanks!
chinek
Participant

Post by chinek »

Hi,

Sorry I made the assumption that you have a recent import file.

When did you first noticed this problem ? If the problem only happened recently you can restore from your Unix backup , restore all the DS directories. You may end up losing some of your jobs that have been created since then.

Nick
cdrk823
Participant

Post by cdrk823 »

Thanks Nick,

This actually was what we went with. I just found out that we do have weekly backups of our server.