Microsoft server moved to new domain - reinstall required?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

StefL
Participant

Microsoft server moved to new domain - reinstall required?

Post by StefL »

I've recently set up a Data Stage test/demo environment in the office of the consulting company I work for. It's on a Windows server, whereas I've always had the server installed on a Unix server in the customer projects I've worked in.
It's worked fine, using the Windows Active Directory (AD) to pick up user privileges, passwords etc.

Now, last week we suffered a breakdown of our domain controller, which invoked a process where we've installed a new domain controller and created a new domain for the office - something that's been due for some time. All clients and servers have been joined to the new domain, and all users have had new accounts set up in the new domain. This includes the server where Data Stage is installed, which has also been moved to the new domain.
However, having done this I cannot log on to Data Stage, neither using the domain admin account nor any client account like my own. Do I need to reinstall the server, or will it be enough to create some user group with a default name that Data Stage recognises? Or is there some other step I need to take to make it work?
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

You cannot move the DataStage files around. The complete path is stored internally in some critical places. You will need to reinstall. If the path was E:\Ascential and still is then you have some other issue. Has your path changed?
Mamu Kim
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I seem to remember having had a similar issue, where the server name changed from myhost.companyone.com to myhost.companytwo.com and we had to re-install. I cannot recall the symptoms, but your problem does sound a bit familiar.
StefL
Participant

Post by StefL »

The host name is still the same, all we've done is join it to a different domain that before. I.e. under Control Panel -> System -> Computer Name where it is decided what the computer name is and what domain it belongs do.
So nothing has been reinstalled on the server, all that has been done is join it to a new domain. The Data Stage installation is still on the machine but it won't let me log in.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's because authentication is recorded as fully qualified names (for example domain\name or machine\name) in some locations.

There is a hashed file called UV.LOGINS in the UV account that you can use to map domain names, machine names and unqualified names, but there is no DataStage documentation for how to use this, and no GUI.

You can read about it in the IBM manual Administering UniVerse which can be downloaded from the IBM website at no cost.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
StefL
Participant

Post by StefL »

Thanks a lot Ray, I'll give it a try when I'm back in the office Monday. Obviously reinstalling would surely be an easier solution, but where is a better place to try out solutions like this than in a lab environment in the office that's not critial to any project or deadline :P
StefL
Participant

Post by StefL »

OK, I've downloaded and checked out the UniVerse Admin Guide and I conclude that although Data Stage uses UniVerse to store login/accounts info, it does not provide any access tool likte UniVerse Admin to administrate the accounts?
That is, the UniVerse Admin tools must be installed separately then?
StefL
Participant

MS server moved do new domain, logon probs OK without reinst

Post by StefL »

After having dwelled on this problem for a couple of weeks I set about to reinstall the server the other day. Before I started I just tried to log in to verify that the problem still persisted - and was surprised to find that it did not.
That is - I was now able to login with accounts present in the new domain that the server was moved to. I conclude from this that it took some time for the server to have changes propagated/copied from the AD on the domain server or something like that - it is my only explanation.