Automated Data Type Validation

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Automated Data Type Validation

Post by gsherry1 »

Hello,

Is there a method to have DataStage perform data type validiation on incoming data as it is being read in sequential stage. I am looking for something that involves a little less development work than adding an is_valid on every column.

In other tools that I have used, I have seen the default of non-validation overriden with a checkbox on the input file to turn on validation, or a separate stage that will automatically apply the validation on every datatype and either reject the record or halt depending on the option.

Are such things possible in DataStage server/PX editions?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In server edition the Sequential File stage acknowledges that there are no data types in text files, only text. Any data types recorded are purely advisory. You must enforce the validation on a per-column basis as part of your job design.

In enterprise edition (parallel jobs) the Sequential File stage automatically rejects any row that does not correspond to the schema associated with the output link (it can, depending on a property setting, direct such rows to a "rejects" link, drop the row, or abort the job).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.