Issue with source tables which are read only.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

subramanya
Participant

Issue with source tables which are read only.

Post by subramanya »

Hi,
In the server job, I am using a Sybase table (which is read only) as the source table. While running the job I am getting the following warning:

"SRC_CMC_SBSB_SUBSC: Sybase Server warning 3906 (severity 16): Attempt to BEGIN TRANSACTION in database 'fidelis_311' failed because database is READ ONLY"

My question is: If the source database is read only cant we select the required rows and populate another database(which is not read only)?

Thanx
Subra
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It shouldn't be an issue. :?

Is there a way to not have it think it's transactional work? For example, in the OCI stages you can change the Transaction Isolation property from 'Read Commited' to 'Read-Only' - is there an equivalent in whatever stage you are using?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
subramanya
Participant

Post by subramanya »

Hi Criag,
I am using Sybase OC stage(Sybase ASE database). For Transaction Isolation we have 3 options: "Read uncommited, Read commited and Serializable" . Whatever option I choose, the same warning is coming..

Thanx for the reply

Subra
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

subramanya,

do you have the option to go through an ODBC stage to see if that works differently, and if it does work is it fast enough for your purposes (as a workaround)
subramanya
Participant

Post by subramanya »

Arnd,
Thanx for the sugestion.
For ODBC stage with Isolation Level as Auto-commit, it works fine. But in all the jobs I have used Sybase OC stage.

Regds
Subramanya
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Subramaya,

I think it is time to submit a call to Ascential - sounds like an easy issue to reproduce. Please post the response/resolution here as well, since I for one am very interested and I am sure that this scenario will pop up again.