Remote Oracle access with ODBC

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

magma
Premium Member
Premium Member

Remote Oracle access with ODBC

Post by magma »

I've had a quick look around this site, but didn't find the magic document that explained all.

We have a need now to use DStage Server on one platform and talk to an Oracle instance on another platform (both AIX).

Whilst I can probably find a manual somewhere that talks me through configuring AIX ODBC to Oracle (I haven't attempted this before), I wanted to ask the forum for 'gotchas'.

Do you recommend remote access w/ODBC? performance? security issues?

Is the Bulk Loaded a good choice for remote-update and ODBC a good choice for remote-select?
Michael
Magma Computing Solutions
adamski
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by adamski »

Hey Guy!

There are Oracle stages for all types of transactions and bulk loads. I cannot see the point of using ODBC. Some Oracle sites considder ODBC a securtiy risk when there is SQL *Net. Talk tou your DBA.

Keep an eye on viewtopic.php?t=94513 for some potential gotchas.
ogmios
Participant

Post by ogmios »

In version 6 of DataStage there were problems with the error codes using ODBC to Oracle (you wouldn't see the specific ORA error message), which wasn't the case when using Ora stage to Oracle. In one case this cost me 4 hours to figure out the "tablespace" was full using ODBC. Haven't tried it out on v7.

If you're not thinking of changing to a different database in the near future :wink: , try to stick as close as to what you want to do. And the Oracle stages in DataStage are as close as you're going to get in DataStage.

[snipped] :wink:

Ogmios
Last edited by ogmios on Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ogmios wrote:One other thing to note is that the Oracle stages work differently for dates than the ODBC stage... ODBC wants to have to the external format for its dates as input, while the Oracle stages use the internal DataStage format (when inserting via an Oracle stage e.g.)
That would be the DB2 stage you are thinking of, I do believe. The Oracle stages still like their dates in external flavor. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Hi Michael,

DataStage is, as far as Oracle is concerned, just another client application. So all you have to do is to configure the DataStage "server" machine with whatever Oracle client software is required; that is, the ODBC driver for Oracle (one ships with DataStage) and the Oracle client software.

That's it. Create ODBC data source definitions by editing the .odbc.ini file, and create entries in uvodbc.config to refer to the DSN and identify it as an ODBC data source rather than a UniVerse data source.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.