Cannot find lookup stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ncsridhar
Participant

Cannot find lookup stage

Post by ncsridhar »

I cannot find the lookup stage in my pallette. This stage is mentioned in the parallel jobs documentation, and now I cannot find a parellel job option in my datastage client. What's going on here.. is it like the edition I have is not the enterprise edition? or is there something like a menu option that I need toggle on or off?

Thanks!
logic
Participant

Post by logic »

check what you have installed.........
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Try 'File -> New' and see whether you have parallel option.
ogmios
Participant

Re: Cannot find lookup stage

Post by ogmios »

One person for immediate DataStage training :wink:

In the server edition it's e.g. just a regular database stage. The first one you connect to a transformer will get a full line, the rest you connect are lookups by default (which broken lines) and use slightly different semantics.

The primary stage will supply the main "row" and fields of that row can then be used to in the lookup stage to get additional data fields based on the primary key in a different table... it's all pretty neatly described in the documentation.

Ogmios
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
ncsridhar
Participant

Post by ncsridhar »

Thanks for the quick primer. I get it now, I got carried away with that lookup stage from the parallel job documentation earlier.

It may be that I don;t have an enterprise edition - that's why I cannot see the database lookup stage... but anyway, this solves the problem for now.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If in the Designer you don't have an option to create Parallel jobs, you don't have the Enterprise Edition.

And you're not the first person to be thrown by the online help, which includes every stage for all products. You'll find a Conditional Lookup in there as well, too bad it's only for the 390 product. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The parallel job's Lookup stage allows for conditional lookup, and supports a business rule for handling the situation that the condition is not met, separately from the situation that the lookup failed.

This is functionality that would be really useful in server jobs but, sadly, isn't there. Phil Walker's been asking for it for years!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.