OLE Server Has Failed Error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

c341
Participant

OLE Server Has Failed Error

Post by c341 »

Hi,
When I'm trying to edit the transformer stage properties I'm getting a pop-up message stating,
" (40503) A call to an OLE server has failed, or a runtime error occured within the OLE server itself"
How can I get rid of this.
Thank You
Regards - c341
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It's a bug in the Client, some sort of .NET issue I assume. We see these once in a great while. The best you can do is clean up the mess when it crashes and start over again from your last saved session.

Unless you are seeing this on a more frequent basis? If it is reproducible, you may need to reinstall either the Client or perhaps just the .NET framework again. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
c341
Participant

Post by c341 »

Thank You!!! I reinstalled the client and it worked!!!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

8) Should mean that something got clobbered that DS was reliant on, usually a dll, perhaps by another recent software install. Reloading the Client can straighten things back out.

Glad you got it sorted.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

And sometimes it's just a glitch in OLE Automation. These are nearly impossible to diagnose without lots of stuff from MSDN and deep knowledge of how Windows works. Sometimes you will get a "failed to write to/at address 0xnnnnnnnnn" message, sometimes not.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Some large organisations push software out to desktops overnight to keep them standardised. You can have a happy DataStage at the end of the day and come in the following morning to find OLE automation errors. The standardised changes being pushed out are not tested against DataStage client software and you can get old DLLS overwriting newer ones installed by DataStage. In theory an install should never replace a component with an older version but some of these automated tools do not follow that rule.
pnchowdary
Participant

Post by pnchowdary »

Hi Guys,

When we get the OLE error and we try to close the currently open job. It asks whether it needs to save the changes or not. I have been told to always say "No" to this, as they believe that it will corupt the current job, if we say "Yes". Is it true or Is it one of those Myths?
Thanks,
Naveen
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

I have noticed opting 'Yes' to save resulting in changes not being recorded properly. This is due to the OLE problem.

So it is better to opt 'No' and redo the changes.
pnchowdary
Participant

Post by pnchowdary »

Thanks Sai for the clarification.
Thanks,
Naveen