Version control Vs Clear Case

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kool_cons
Participant

Version control Vs Clear Case

Post by kool_cons »

Hello gurus,
I need to explain to my client regarding source control like version control or clear case or both(integrated with version control, Clearcase).

version control:
Dev----->VC<---->SAT
|
Prod

Clear Case:( i guess it includes lot of exports,imports, check in and checkouts)
Dev--Clear case<-->SAT
|
Prod

Both:
Dev----->VC----->Clear Case--->(copy to SAT)---SAT
|
Prod

this is rough diagram in my mind, Is it right if so which one is good??

thanks in advance
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

Hi cool consultant,

it depends. If you have only DataStage elements to version, version control may be the product to consider.

If you also have other elements (SQL-Skripts, Shell-skripts, JAVA....) a third party general product may be best. There are even others beside Clear Case, for example Serena ChangeMan (before its name was PVCS).

There is a Tool called dsmove with which you can transfer DataStage Elements between your third party tool and DataStage.

Wolfgang
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Version Control includes the ability to version directories (folders) that are not part of DataStage, for example in which you might store scripts. The way it's written it requires the directory to be in the project directory but I have found that it's happy if there's a symbolic link (shortcut) in the project directory pointing to the real location.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.