hai

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kool_cons
Participant

hai

Post by kool_cons »

hai
Last edited by kool_cons on Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirtikumar
Participant

Post by Kirtikumar »

Why you are not using DS version control tool?

Using a separate tool like this may have problem coz each time to do any modification, the dsx has to be checked out and then imported in DS, then do the modification. After doing modification export the DSjob and check in the clear case.

Its really long process.
Regards,
S. Kirtikumar.
kool_cons
Participant

Post by kool_cons »

thanks for your suggestion. i need explain to my client why VCS is better than clear case. Could you please tell me .
kerensho
Participant

Post by kerensho »

Hello,
I don't know clear case but I do know version Control:
the important thing is that VC is part of Ds, which means you do not have to import and export all the time.
Also, VC lets you move selected jobs between projects (not 1 job, whole project or 1 category at a time, like export works). It lets you the option to make a project read only and do full versions managment: i.e. full tracking of changes between version, going back to former versions, etc.

one last thing - the VC is comfrtable, GUI speaking. so maybe the best thing is just to show it to your client.

hope it helps...
Keren
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

in those good old days, when DataStage was young and without any Version control we had to take a standard Versioning Tool. We still use it and we are still happy with it.

For DataStage Jobs, DataStage Routines and DataStage Transforms we develloped a Tool called dsmove, which can be integrated in any third-party-Version-Control-System.

If you or anybody else needs details I can send them to him by mail.

Wolfgang.Huerter@gerling.de