fatal error from UtilityAbortToLog

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hrthomson
Participant

fatal error from UtilityAbortToLog

Post by hrthomson »

Similar to a posting from Oct 2004, I am getting the following message when running a routine I've written through a job sequencer:

Call_01_Routine_Test_2..JobControl (fatal error from UtilityAbortToLog): USER INFO: Call_01_Main failed JOB=> Call_01_Routine_Test_2 STAGE=> JobControl LINK=> -8

This error appears after the message

Call_01_Routine_Test_2..JobControl (@xml_iad_source_set): Omitted checkpoint for call of routine 'DSU.InsRunDSJob'

and the routine works fine when run on it's own.

The routine is simple. Runs a sql statement to determine if a job needs to run. IF true, it then Attaches to the job and then to the master job to determine parameter values. Looks up the appropriate values, assigns the parameters and runs the job. This was working fine when I left work yesterday, but has been aborting on every attempt since. The ony thing that has changed is that the server has been rebooted, and I triggered the call job to abort to test a failed status. I have purged the &PH& directory with no success.

And advice\ideas, would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

Heather
what a man is contributes much more to his happiness than what he has, or how he is regarded by others.
hrthomson
Participant

Re: fatal error from UtilityAbortToLog

Post by hrthomson »

OK, a bit of an update. I changed my Failed trigger to a conditional trigger on Result <> 1 (JobStatus) and it works. Still, I'm curious why it's been failing in the first place and would welcome any ideas.
what a man is contributes much more to his happiness than what he has, or how he is regarded by others.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Inspect the JOBCONTROL.H file (in dsinclude directory on server) to learn what the code -8 means with respect to DSGetLinkInfo. (I don't have access to DataStage this week, so can't do it for you.)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pnchowdary
Participant

Post by pnchowdary »

Hi Heather,

This is what code -8 means

Equ DSJE.NOTINSTAGE To -8 ;* StageName was DSJ.ME and the caller is not running within a stage