Is there any Universe ODBC driver for download?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gordonxiao
Participant

Is there any Universe ODBC driver for download?

Post by gordonxiao »

Dear all,

Is there any Universe ODBC driver for download? I want to use the driver to connect to DataStage Universe database to perform some query.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Gordon
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

They have disabled it except for internal use. If you use localuv as a DSN then it works for UV stages and internally in BASIC. Otherwise forget it.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

AFAIK there never was an ODBC driver supplied to talk to UniVerse, because DataStage could use BCI/UCI and not need a driver.

IBM do not market a UNIX-based ODBC driver for UniVerse but there are third-party ones out there.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
gordonxiao
Participant

Post by gordonxiao »

ray.wurlod wrote:AFAIK there never was an ODBC driver supplied to talk to UniVerse, because DataStage could use BCI/UCI and not need a driver.

IBM do not market a UNIX-based ODBC driver for UniVerse but there are third-party ones out there.
Hi Ray, do you have any idea that if we want to write a Web based application to retrieve some metadata (for example, job properties, routines) from DataStage?
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

You could do this in a shell or perl script. You could uv, uvsh, ds or dssh to execute SQL to retrieve information. You could also use dsjob.

What exactly do you want?
Mamu Kim
gordonxiao
Participant

Post by gordonxiao »

kduke wrote:You could do this in a shell or perl script. You could uv, uvsh, ds or dssh to execute SQL to retrieve information. You could also use dsjob.

What exactly do you want?
We want to set up a web application for people to browse metadata of a specified DS server. The application could be J2EE or .NET architecture. People can use IE to browse metadata such as job properties (same in Designer), routine source codes, imported table definitions, etc.

I know dsjob command, but it can only retrieve information about some basic project/job properties. It cannot retrieve information like routine properties and many other things.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

My choice would be RedBack. This sits on both sides of the firewall, managing potentially many web-side connections with many fewer database connections.

RedBack works with UniVerse. It should work with DataStage, though its BASIC programs would need to be recompiled under DS. Since all are now owned by IBM it may be worth requesting.

However...

It remains the case, for now, that the way that metadata are stored for DataStage is not in the public domain. So, even if you could access it via the web, you would not have the information needed to retrieve the information you seek.

A more open Repository database is promised for the Hawk release (coming soon to a vendor near you), in which case a wider range of Web tools will clearly become available.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
gordonxiao
Participant

Post by gordonxiao »

Hi Ray, could you please tell me more information about RedBack? I have no idea about this at all.

In addition, I have another idea that is to use uvsh to connect to the remote Universe server and do some query to tables like DS_JOBS. The web application fetches and analizes the output then returns the metadata to the browser. Do you think it is applicable?
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Why not MetaStage?
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

MetaStage doesn't have a nice Web front end, though the two views that can be brought into a browser are getting close. Problem is, that's OK for an intranet - what are the issues with the internet?

RedBack is a separate IBM product for managing Web connections to UniVerse and UniData databases. Read about it at IBM's website
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Ray

How do they get the metadata into Redbrick? I was assuming they could get it out of the MetaStage respository easier than Universe.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not Red Brick. RedBack. Two very different products. RedBack would not be appropriate for the MetaStage directory; it only talks to UniVerse and UniData. The MetaStage directory is (currently) a "database of your choice".
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

RedBack is cool. Sorry, not paying attention.
Mamu Kim