Unable to RESET JOB.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

killbill1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Unable to RESET JOB.

Post by killbill1 »

We are trying to reset a job that aborted.
Although, it gives a status "JOB HAS BEEN RESET" from the director, from the log we see that while reseting the job it encountered some warning's and some fatal errors. Detail look into this warnings & errors show that the reset process is trying to look for some file path's which are in the job design. I've tried to reset other jobs from the same project and job reset's without any problem.
This is the first time I've ever encountered a problem like this.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Try to recompile the job - this often will suffice. But your root problem shouldn't have occurred and the problem might not be limited to this job. Search this forum for DS.TOOLS and reindexing.
killbill1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by killbill1 »

Arnd,

Thanks for the response!!!

I've actually compiled the job couple of times, but the problem reccurs again. Also this will be an issue in production as the job has "reset if required and run" property from the sequencer and we won't have a chance to re-compile it in production as it is protected.
About the DS.TOOLS option, I was wondering if that would do any good as this problem is not limited to the one project. The same set of jobs migrated to TST env has the same problem.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

If that is the case you are right, it most likely isn't due to corruption. What files does the reset complain about, and what other error messages do you get? Perhaps we can track it from that side.
killbill1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by killbill1 »

Below are the order of events which take place when we try to reset the job.

INFO---From previous run
INFO---Resetting Job JOBNAME.
INFO---Resetting stage STAGENAME..Copy_3_of_Transformer_1.
INFO---Resetting stage STAGENAME..Aggregator_2.
WARNING---ashed_File_10.DSLink1: DSD.UVOpen Unable to open file '/FILEPATH/Filename'.
STAGENAME..Copy_3_of_Transformer_1:
FATAL---|STAGENAME..Hashed_File_10.DSLink1: DSD.UVOpen Unable to open file '/FILEPATH/Filename'.|
WARNING---Attempting to Cleanup after ABORT raised in stage STAGENAME..Copy_3_of_Transformer_1

After these events, from the director we can see the status of the job "HAS BEEN RESET".

But when we try to run the job, job aborts with the above same warnings and errors
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So you don't have a problem resetting the job, that sounds like it is happening just fine. The fact that it logs errors during the reset is of no consequence and is normal in cases like this.

What's typically happening is the errors that caused the job to abort in the first place are being picked up again during the reset. Fix the problem that is causing the job to abort when you run it and you'll be fine. Diagnose the problem using the Warning and Error messages from the job run, not from the job reset.

FYI - Looks like a hash file you are expecting to use doesn't exist.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
killbill1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by killbill1 »

Ardn,

Thanks for the right direction.

I looked in to the option tab that creats the hash file and noticed that the "delete file before create" has been creating this problem.
Unchecking this option("delete file before create") resolved the issue.

Once again thanks for putting me back on the right track.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

KillBill,

glad to be of help, but I can't take credit for Craig explaining what had actually happened in your case (but I think that I might have found the error had Craig not been quicker off the mark)

-ARnd.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

KillBill,

glad to be of help, but I can't take credit for Craig explaining what had actually happened in your case (but I think that I might have found the error had Craig not been quicker off the mark)

-ARnd.