License Checking by DataStage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ewartpm
Participant

License Checking by DataStage

Post by ewartpm »

We have a 32 cpu machine that has been partitioned. DataStage runs under a 4 cpu partition because we have a 4 cpu license. However, when the jobs are run we get warnings in the job logs about violation of the number of cpu's. It seems DataStage does a 'system' scan instead of a partition scan.

I have been tasked with monitoring DataStage to ensure it does not use more than 4 cpu's whenever it runs. We need this information to present a case to Ascential/IBM.

Does anyone know how I could gather this information i.e. what Windows command/utility could be used?

If anyone else has managed to solve this problem, (besides buying more DataStage licenses), the solution would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe one should just hack the registry :wink:
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
This was covered before.
in short unless the partition is independant as if it was a stand alone machine it will detect additional CPUs.
If this is the case and despite that you have a problem you should loag a support call.
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
ewartpm
Participant

Post by ewartpm »

Hi Roy

According to the guys who set up the partition, it is independent, hence my dilema. Also, call has been logged with Ascential by no joy there either.

We use job sequencers and the warning status from the license warning is causing problems because of the warning triggers we have set.

I will search the rest of the forums to see if anyone has a solution.

Do you know how to monitor how many cpu's DataStage uses when it runs?
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

That is the exact dilema!
when I say independant I mean as far as that config is concenred there are only x processors all available to DS so there is no way DS sees more then in the liscense you have.
In short if you have 8 processors there is no way to get rid of this if you only have a 4 CPU liscense!
Roy R.

ewartpm
Participant

Post by ewartpm »

:( Thanks Roy ... encouraging it is not !!

I guess I'm going to have to beg Ascential for some freebies :roll:
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Sorry to dissapoint you but getting them to sponcer your attendance in Ascential 2005 has better chances :(

And no one can blame them for DS behaving this way !!!

It is simple if you could work undisturbed with 2 CPU liscense on a 32 CPU machine why should you pay for more?

even if you proove you restrict it to only 2 CPUs who will enforce this along time?!

This is perfctly understandable for any CPU based liscense.

As for changing the pricing methods that is another thing.....

Good Luck :)
Roy R.

ogmios
Participant

Post by ogmios »

The good news... IBM is planning to synchronize DataStage licensing schems with the rest of their products... site wide licensing, ...

Ogmios
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: License Checking by DataStage

Post by chulett »

ewartpm wrote:We have a 32 cpu machine that has been partitioned. DataStage runs under a 4 cpu partition because we have a 4 cpu license. However, when the jobs are run we get warnings in the job logs about violation of the number of cpu's. It seems DataStage does a 'system' scan instead of a partition scan.
So... a Windows machine with 32 processors? :wink:

We run on a logical partition of a 32 processor Superdome. The partition has its own IP address, host name, memory and only 8 of the 32 processors. With an 8 cpu license, DataStage runs fine. If you run something like 'glance' or 'prstat' when logged on to your partition, how many cpus does it show?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

My guess they use an ES7000 or something like that from unisys
They are capable of reaching the mentioned configuration and are quite capable machines performance wise as well.
And yes they run on windows OS (NT data center or similar perhaps win2003 today)
Roy R.

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Good 'guess' Roy! :wink: :lol:

ewartpm, I guess you missed the discussions here and on ADN over hyperthreading and licensing. Throw in dual core cpus and you've got an interesting licensing dilemma. As of now, right or wrong, "look like 32 cpus" means "must license 32 cpus". Unless Ascential does a better job of integrating into your Unisys and its affinity technology.

Out of curiousity, when allocated a 4 cpu partition is it actually restricted to 4 cpus? 4 hyperthreaded cpus, so 8 'logical' ones? I'm wondering how many cpus DataStage sees (8/16/32) and if turning off hyperthreading on your 4 would be a workaround to stop the licensing warnings?

Good luck! Let us know how it all turns out.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ewartpm
Participant

Post by ewartpm »

DataStage has been partitioned to see 4 cpu's (2 hyperthreaded). DataStage sees all 32 cpu's.

Yep the Unisys box is not bad, one can partition it to the point of having a different OS running each partition. It's like splitting the box into many servers. We have not done that on this box. We have a bigger Unisys box which has been split and it performs very nicely.

As far as Ascential changing their licensing option, maybe big blue will introduce a less punitive agreement and waiver at least hyperthreading.

Will update this forum when I get a reply from Ascential.