DS_log file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Perwezakh
Premium Member
Premium Member

DS_log file

Post by Perwezakh »

Hi Guys,
Can any one get me the detail of DS_LOG table. Like how many columns are in this table, what are there names, how I can fetch these columns while running a DataStage job.
I can get this info from telnet, but I don't have IP address (to get this I need atleast one week and I don't have this much time)
Looking forward for some reply and tanks in advance
ketfos
Participant

Post by ketfos »

Hi,

What information are you looking for?
I do not think that there is a table my name DS_LOG.

Ketfos
Perwezakh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Perwezakh »

ketfos wrote:Hi,

What information are you looking for?
I do not think that there is a table my name DS_LOG.

Ketfos
As you know when you run DataStage, DataStage log all the informtions into log file and after running you go and look into log file to see status. What happens in the back ground that DataStage keeps these running information into DS_Log table. I want to access this table so that I can pull some of the columns to my error handling process(This is the requirement of my company).
So if know what are the information available in this table I can built a error table and pass back this information to error handling department.
I know if you access to DataStage server you can go to telnet, enter userid and password and you can do query "Select * from DS_Log" or "Describe DS_Log". Right now I don't have access to this and thats why I need help
Perwez
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

you can write a job/routine/shell script and read this entrys with an add (if you want) additional information and then pass the whole (or part of or whatever you want) to a table, a flatfile ....

Wolfgang
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

The table is RT_LOGnnn. Where in nnn is the job number. There is no DS_LOG file. Do a search there tons of posts on this topic. The way to dscribe a table in the repository is

LIST DICT tablename
or
LIST.DICT tablename

LIST DICT RT_LOG25

There is also RT_STATUSnnn which keeps the instance ids and the associated row counts. There are lots of posts on how to retrieve the row counts as well.
Mamu Kim
sjacobk
Participant

Post by sjacobk »

If you just want to see data of RT_LOG table of a particular job, you can use DataStage Administrator.

From Administrator choose the project and click on the execute command. In the resulting window give the following command.

SELECT @ID,TYPE,WAVE.NO,TIMESTAMP,MSG.ARGS,MSG.TEXT,FULL.TEXT,SEVERITY FROM RT_LOG#JobNumber#

where Job Number must be replaced with the job number of the job for which u want to view the log info. (Can be obtained from DS_JOBS table).

You can even create a job to read the same info using the UNIVERSE stage and write it into a sequential file if necessarry.
Smitha Jacob
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's sufficient to LIST DICT RT_LOG (without a numeric suffix) because RT_LOG is the generic file dictionary for all DataStage job log tables.
Yet another example of one of the weird things that UniVerse can do - a table definition with no table!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Perwezakh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Perwezakh »

sjacobk wrote:If you just want to see data of RT_LOG table of a particular job, you can use DataStage Administrator.

From Administrator choose the project and click on the execute command. In the resulting window give the following command.

SELECT @ID,TYPE,WAVE.NO,TIMESTAMP,MSG.ARGS,MSG.TEXT,FULL.TEXT,SEVERITY FROM RT_LOG#JobNumber#

where Job Number must be replaced with the job number of the job for which u want to view the log info. (Can be obtained from DS_JOBS table).

You can even create a job to read the same info using the UNIVERSE stage and write it into a sequential file if necessarry.
Hi Sjacoba,
Thanks a lot for your beautiful reply. I have seen the table colmns, but I didn't find the descriptions. Anyway can you tell me what is defnition of WAVE_NO, MSG.ARGS, MSG.TEXT, FULL.TEXT.
Like MSG.ARGS is error code, MSG.TEXT is error message etc.
Thanks
Perwez
ketfos
Participant

Post by ketfos »

Hi,
Every time a job is executed, it is assigned an internal number, known as wave number.
I donot know of its importance or utility from a developer's point of view.

Thanks
Ketfos
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

TO learn what these fields are you need to run the SQL and compare it to the Director. If you cannot figure out the rest of the columns then you do not understand Director.

You are going to have to do some of the work here to educate yourself. We will help on complex things or unusual things like wave number but you are expected it try to figure it out before asking the question. I am sorry if that sounds rude but we do not get paid for answering your questions so we expect you to put some effort in before asking something that should be easy to figure out.

Please try it first then ask.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

WAVE is a purely internal concept; if does not affect anything you do. The wave number is a mechanism for identifying runs uniquely, particularly when resetting a job.

MSG.TEXT is the message text with placeholders, somewhat like the template used with the printf() family of functions in C. MSG.ARGS is a multi-valued list of values with which to replace the placeholders in MSG.TEXT. You never need to refer to these, since the result in available as the virtual column FULL.TEXT.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.