how to use the Exception_Handler

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

EJRoufs
Participant

how to use the Exception_Handler

Post by EJRoufs »

I have numerous Sequencer jobs, DataStage v 7.1, Windows server.

The Sequencer jobs have many jobs inside of them. On each one, I have a link go one way if it works (1 or 2 return code), and another way if it fails (3 or higher return code). I saw the Exception_Handler stage, and was hoping I could use this instead. I put it in one of my jobs, and it does not work. The "Help" provides no help on how to use it, and there are no settings within it. The Sequencer job I'm attempting to put it in is a small one. I have 4 paths running separately. All 4 paths have to run succesfully for it to send a "Good" e-mail. If any of the 4 paths fail, I want it to send a "Bad" e-mail. Any ideas? :>
Eric
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

From the Developer's Guide:
An exception activity handles the situation where a job in the sequence fails to run (other exceptions in the job sequence are handled by triggers). An exception activity can only have a single unconditional output trigger, so does not require a Triggers page. It has no input triggers. It serves as a starting point for a sequence of activities to run if an exception has occurred somewhere in the main sequence. Its Properties dialog box contains only a General page.
So, in other words, it is triggered by a failure in the Sequencer itself - a job cannot be reset, you reference a parameter that no longer exists, etc, etc. Note that in 7.5 its functionality has been expanded.

For you, 'Otherwise' triggers from the four jobs in question should go to a Sequencer set to 'Any' and from there to a Notification Activity stage.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
EJRoufs
Participant

Post by EJRoufs »

chulett wrote:From the Developer's Guide:
An exception activity can only have a single unconditional output trigger, so does not require a Triggers page. It has no input triggers.
So, in other words, it is triggered by a failure in the Sequencer itself - a job cannot be reset, you reference a parameter that no longer exists, etc, etc. Note that in 7.5 its functionality has been expanded.

For you, 'Otherwise' triggers from the four jobs in question should go to a Sequencer set to 'Any' and from there to a Notification Activity stage.

So, in version 7.1, it cannot handle a sequencer job that has multiple paths. Am I understanding that correctly? And in version 7.5, this is no longer the case?

This sequencer job with 4 paths was just a small example. I have another sequencer job where I probably have 50+ jobs in it. It becomes quite a headache to have every single one of those have a separate link to go an alternate route for an error. I was hoping there was a better/easier way.
Eric
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It's not that it can't handle a sequencer job with 'multiple paths', its just that its original functionality was to handle failures in the Sequencer itself. Job failures run by the sequencer are handled by triggers off the Job Activity stage.

Your 'better/easier way' is to upgrade to 7.5. :wink:

Pretty sure that functionality doesn't come until 7.5 but it might be 7.1. :? I'm currently on 7.0.1 so can't check myself. They added a check box in the stage to have it 'also handle job errors' or something along those lines. Double-check what you have.

Otherwise, yes... you need to handle it all yourself. It does get messy but it does work. Been there, done that.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
EJRoufs
Participant

Post by EJRoufs »

chulett wrote:Your 'better/easier way' is to upgrade to 7.5. :wink:

Pretty sure that functionality doesn't come until 7.5 but it might be 7.1. :? I'm currently on 7.0.1 so can't check myself. They added a check box in the stage to have it 'also handle job errors' or something along those lines. Double-check what you have.

Otherwise, yes... you need to handle it all yourself. It does get messy but it does work. Been there, done that.

Well, we were looking for some good reasons to justify an upgrade to version 7.5. Now we have another good reason to add to the list. Thanks! :>
Eric