DataStage Monitoring

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

VasanthRM
Participant

DataStage Monitoring

Post by VasanthRM »

Hi,

We support lot of applications developed using DataStage.
Generally all the applications runs for long hours

Is there any way that all the projects from same system can be viewed in one pane?
For example 2 big projects which constitutes many jobs are running parallel.General ways of monitoring is done, by opening separate directors and monitor them. Is there anyway to view the status of both the project in a single pane?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

If you wish to use the DIRECTOR to monitor the jobs, then you are going to have to limited the view using the View -> Filter (or Ctrl-T) menu. You can view only jobs with a certain pattern to their name or perhaps in your case you would limit the view to jobs that are currently running.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
Since your director session i limited to one concurent project the answer is not via director.

However you can incorporate a 3rd party monitoring tool if one exists in your organization to show every job status in every DS server installed in the organization.

this includes a monitor you can build yourself using the VB API (search for previous posts with how to info (by Kim aka KDuke).

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Got it - I reread the post and had missed the multiple projects portion.

the command line program "dsjob" will return the status for a job. You can write a perl script or even a DataStage job around either this external call or by using the DSGet...() calls to write your own program.
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

This appears to be an enhancement of Director to display details in all the projects....something like the host view in Manager.

Simplest will be to have multiple director sessions open - one for each project.

Otherwise you can extract the info you want and simulate the view using other software such as VB or Access.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

If it was me then I would build it in BASIC and view it on a web page. We could easily change DsWebMon to do this. It is a very good idea for people who do not know DataStage. Maybe show me all jobs finished in the last hour. EtlStats could be modified to do this from Oracle. The across project part is the hard part.

The fastest way would be to

ps -ef | grep phantom

and get the jobs running from this. How much is it worth to you? DsWebMon sort of duplicates Director functionality on a web page. This adds functionality. Very nice idea.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Scheduled for release very soon (July?) is an active dashboard which may help with this requirement. Currently it's called "Sorcerer". Don't know whether it will work with version 6 - why not ask the vendor, at Ascential Developer Net?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.