Mimic KeyMgtGetNextValueConcurrent routine

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

anilkona
Participant

Mimic KeyMgtGetNextValueConcurrent routine

Post by anilkona »

I would like to get opinion from Gurus on mimicing Key management routines.

We have a sequence table which is very similar to the one that Ascential DataStage Key management routines use to manage the key values.

The structure of our sequence table is

SEQ_NAME
INITIAL_VALUE
CURRENT_VALUE
INCREMENT_VALUE
MAX_VALUE

We want to access 4 or 5 sequence names from the above sequence table in one server job. So we would like to mimic the key management routines which accepts a sequence name and it reads the current value and increments it to increment value, updates the sequence table and returns the incremented value.

Is this something doable using Ascential BASIC language? If anyone has done similar stuff, I would appreciate if they can share their code and give pointers.

Thanks for your time,
-Anil
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I think the issue is the time it would take to connect to update one of these. It would be faster in a stored procedure. You could do it in a function and return the current value if you are not using Oracle.
Mamu Kim
anilkona
Participant

Post by anilkona »

Thanks Kim for your time. We are using a DB2 database.

I need to be able to read, increment and update the current value in the sequence table and return incremented value.

I don't have any experience with BASIC. Could you point me to any guides on connecting to db and executing SQL statements in BASIC?

Thanks,
-Anil
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If you have no experience with BASIC, the last thing you want to tackle is using it to 'connect to db and executing SQL statements'. :wink:

Why not just make a copy of the routine in question and see about modifying it to suit your needs? It already does most of what you want...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The ultimate reference is BCI Reference Guide. This mimics the ODBC API. You will need a licensed ODBC driver to connect from DataStage routine.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I would not do this in BASIC. I would do it in a function if you can update in a function. You could do it like they do a sequence number in Oracle.
Mamu Kim
anilkona
Participant

Post by anilkona »

Kim,

Do u mean like a Table function in DB2? Or a user-defined function?

And then create a view on top of these functions and turn this in to one of the stages in server job?

Thanks,
-Anil
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I do not know DB2 but in Oracle you can create functions. ODBC and plugins treat these like columns. In Oracle I do not think you can do an update or insert but if you could then a function could work like Nextval. This can be used in a user defined insert where the key is replaced by the Oracle sequence Seq.Nexval. There are a lot of posts about Oracle sequences. A function with an update statement could duplicate this functionality.
Mamu Kim
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

You can use parameters and make it a shared container.