trouble importing OracleOCI definitions

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

cdrk823
Participant

trouble importing OracleOCI definitions

Post by cdrk823 »

Hi everyone,

I'm having some difficulty getting the list of our tables when I'm importing table definitions from Oracle. Actually, as of writing, I still haven't been able to get table definitions from Oracle.

I was able to do so, though, from our older databases.

Is there a way to filter out what tables to get from the database, instead of having to get the list of ALL tables? What could be the cause of this delay?

Sorry if this topic might have been discussed in another forum. I really haven't had much success in looking for the right ones.

-cedrick
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

I think you have the option of 'name contains'.
cdrk823
Participant

Post by cdrk823 »

Yup, but that only appears AFTER the table names are listed.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's called "Filter" before the table names are listed. Sometimes "Advanced".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ray.wurlod wrote:It's called "Filter" before the table names are listed. Sometimes "Advanced".
And unfortunately it doesn't exist in the OCI stages. :cry:
cdrk823 wrote:Is there a way to filter out what tables to get from the database, instead of having to get the list of ALL tables? What could be the cause of this delay?
What delay is that? What exactly is the problem you are having? The smallest subset of table names you can bring back is for a single schema. I just brought back a list of 635 tables from a schema and it took all of 18 seconds - and that's remote over VPN. Did you switch from the default of ALL OWNERS to a single owner before getting a list of the table names?

The 'Name Contains' box is just a mechanism to cull the list of names after you've pulled them from the database to make your selection process (possibly) easier.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
cdrk823
Participant

Post by cdrk823 »

chulett wrote:
ray.wurlod wrote:It's called "Filter" before the table names are listed. Sometimes "Advanced".
And unfortunately it doesn't exist in the OCI stages. :cry:
cdrk823 wrote:Is there a way to filter out what tables to get from the database, instead of having to get the list of ALL tables? What could be the cause of this delay?
What delay is that? What exactly is the problem you are having? The smallest subset of table names you can bring back is for a single schema. I just brought back a list of 635 tables from a schema and it took all of 18 seconds - and that's remote over VPN. Did you switch from the default of ALL OWNERS to a single owner before getting a list of the table names?

The 'Name Contains' box is just a mechanism to cull the list of names after you've pulled them from the database to make your selection process (possibly) easier.
I simply can't pull the list of table names from our database to import as new table definitions. There really isn't any error messages, the list just wouldn't show up - it's just loading and loading.. (which is what my 'delay' is)
ds_developer
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds_developer »

Exactly what Import | Table Definitions | choice are you using?

"Plug-in Meta Data Definitions" lets you pick the database, the schema, the specific table(s). That should allow it to load pretty fast.

John
cdrk823
Participant

Post by cdrk823 »

ds_developer wrote:Exactly what Import | Table Definitions | choice are you using?

"Plug-in Meta Data Definitions" lets you pick the database, the schema, the specific table(s). That should allow it to load pretty fast.

John
I am using that.

I just found out that this issue only happens for one specific owner 'SYSADM'. I've tried picking different owners and the list comes up pretty fast. Is this because of some restraints on permission?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

PeopleSoft by chance? :twisted: In a PeopleSoft instance, all application tables are owned by SYSADM - and that can be 20 or 30 thousand tables.

You must learn patience, Grasshopper.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
cdrk823
Participant

Post by cdrk823 »

chulett wrote:PeopleSoft by chance? :twisted: In a PeopleSoft instance, all application tables are owned by SYSADM - and that can be 20 or 30 thousand tables.

You must learn patience, Grasshopper.
:shock:

Interesting.. very interesting..

does it usually take hours? :lol:

But actually, our older database has a different owner for the application tables. So, maybe - just maybe, if we do this then we can see some improvement.

Thanks!