Sequential FIle Problem

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mtechnocrat
Participant

Sequential FIle Problem

Post by mtechnocrat »

Hi

I am using .RCV sequential file as source , while running the / viewing the data I am getting error like " nls_read_delimited() - row 1, column XXXX_Column, required column missing ' .

The job is abortiing .

I need some help to resolving thi issue .

thanks in advance

hari
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

It implies that your data has less number of columns than those defined in the sequential file stage.

Can you check the column count in both.
elavenil
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by elavenil »

What is the delimited that you are using?

Pls check that any of the column that delimited characters in any of the value.

Regards
Saravanan
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

It says that the required column is missing. So the data has missing columns and not excess columns.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This error can also occur if the file is fixed-width format and you either neglect to check the Fixed Width check box on the format tab or get the display widths (= column widths) wrong in the Columns grid.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
yaminids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Sequential FIle Problem

Post by yaminids »

Hello there,

I think the problem is with number of columns defined in the Sequential file Stage. Perhaps the number of columns defined in the Stage is less than the required columns. This may occur when you accidentally remove some columns from the stage.

I would suggest you to delete all the columns from the stage and reload the columns.
amsh76
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by amsh76 »

Hi Yaminids,

Its the other way round. The number of columns in the file is less that columns defined in stage.

Just look at that record and you should get the answer to your question.
yaminids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Sequential FIle Problem

Post by yaminids »

amsh76 wrote:Hi Yaminids,

Its the other way round. The number of columns in the file is less that columns defined in stage.

Just look at that record and you should get the answer to your question.
I differ with you amsh76. When you click "View data" and you get the above mentioned error it means that there are fewer columns defined in the stage than expected to display the data. Am I right?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Nope, sorry. :wink:

'Required column missing' means that a column required by the stage is not present in the file being read. I.E. you've declared six columns in the stage and it only found five in the file - and the sixth one is still marked as 'required' (the default) on the Columns tab.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
mtechnocrat
Participant

Post by mtechnocrat »

Sainath.Srinivasan wrote:It says that the required column is missing. So the data has missing columns and not excess columns.

HI

The data has all columns , in first row only fist column is filled , the remaining columns are empty , for other rows every thingi s perfect .Still I am facing the same issue .
mtechnocrat
Participant

Post by mtechnocrat »

ray.wurlod wrote:This error can also occur if the file is fixed-width format and you either neglect to check the Fixed Width check box on the format tab or get the display widths (= column widths) wrong in the Columns grid.

comma is the delimiter for this file .
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

mtechnocrat wrote: The data has all columns , in first row only fist column is filled , the remaining columns are empty , for other rows every thingi s perfect .Still I am facing the same issue .
Can you tell us how many columns you have defined in your stage and how many commas you have in each line in the text file? If you have 5 columns defined each line should have 4 commas used as separators. You can, but only for testing purposes, go into the column definitions for this sequential file and specify "incomplete column" for the last column to make it retain & warn and see what you get as an output.
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

You need to decode the content with reference to the column defn in datastage.

As we cannot see either of them, you are in a better position for this.