German Character in the files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

reddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by reddy »

Hello Sirs,

In my German input file i have some german characters ,so i did is i used
NLS ISO 8859-1 for the input file i did some process i write into a filex
with project default NLS upto this point everything...

But when i write into ODBC Stage (Database) the job was aborted...

please help me on how to handle these special characters.

Thanks
Narasa
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

What error message you are receiving?

Did you check whether the link is NLS enabled?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Check whether the database and/or ODBC driver needs any environment variable (such as NLS_LANG) to be set to indicate the character set being employed.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Sunshine2323
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Sunshine2323 »

Hi Reddy,

We had a similar problem when we were trying to load data to SAP for Norwegian Characters.

Using NLS UTF-8 had resolved it.
Warm Regards,
Amruta Bandekar

<b>If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z, X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut. </b>
--Albert Einstein
saadmirza
Participant

Post by saadmirza »

Hi,
I have a similar problem....Can you please suggest me how to output data into UTF-8 format....I want a csv file as output which should be in UTF8 format and not in ANSI....How to ensure this in DS job.

Thanks,
saad mirza
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

I live in Germany and I am working with DataStage and Files and Tables since the beginning. I never did something special and had never a job brake.

I cannot imagine what you are troubling.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I've got to side with Wolfgang here. The only German character that can conflict (when not using NLS) is the u-umlaut as that maps to either a @VM or @FM (cannot recall which one). If you are doing explicit mapping from one character set to another then the most likely error you are going to get is that DS tells you that it cannot map a character, but this doesn't usually happen within the 1-byte Latin-1 character set.

What error is the ODBC driver giving you?
saadmirza
Participant

Post by saadmirza »

Hi,
I am not getting an ODBC error...but I dont see umlaut in my output csv file...it appears as "?"...Please suggest me as to how do i see umlaut in my output file...

Saad
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The file-viewer in Datastage is most likely converting the character to a "?", where are you displaying this from - and if you are using a database utility, make sure that it's display attributes set via the environment variables are set correctly (see if other tables show German characters correctly in the same tool, or create a test table and enter and then display a text with umlaute).
saadmirza
Participant

Post by saadmirza »

Hi,
In my database table umlaut is entered and displyaed correctly....Its just that when I try to store the data into a CSV file...it is not dislpyaed correctly...do i have to do something in the job...but if i manually save the target file as UTF8 instead of ANSI, I am able to see it correctly in DS job as well.

Saad
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

saadmirza - in DS you can explicitly set the output file format in the output CSV file, I guess this is what you are doing as you say you can view the data. What is your input database and what are your NLS settings for that source stage?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Saadmirza - if this continues it would be best to open up a new thread, or else we'll be accussed of thread-hijacking. In your case, read from Oracle and write the data straight back to Oracle unchanged. Is your input and output data identical? Reading your earlier post, it seems that you are saying that when you write to a UTF-8 sequential file from your UTF-8 database everything gets displayed correctly, but if all you do is change your sequential file format to {some other set} the data gets displayed as "?". What is the other convention that you specify? "ANSI" doesn't exist in my maps.