ODBC Connectivity

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Lali_swam
Participant

ODBC Connectivity

Post by Lali_swam »

Hi,
DataStage is installed on a Linux Server. Oracle is in another Unix Box. Oracle 9i Client is installed in that Linux server.
From a local machine that connects to this server, I am designing a simple job using ODBC stage.
For this I followed the steps in order
1) Created a systen DSN in the local machine using start->settings-> Control panel->Administrative tools->Data Sources(ODBC). I am using DataDirect 4.10 Oracle.. Lets say it was cats_odbc..Should I be using Microsoft ODBC for Oracle instead???
2) I connect to the DS Designer and try to add an ODBC stage in a job.. while editing the stage properties, it is asking for Data source Name--> I am not able to see the system DSN Name( viz. cats_odbc) that I added earlier from step 1. Also, I dont have a userid and password for this.
3) When I hardcode the Data source Name( viz. cats_odbc) and then run the job, I get the following error
COE_LALS_DEPT..ODBC_20: DSD.BCIConnect connecting to <cats_odbc>, call to SQLConnect failed.
SQLSTATE=IM002, DBMS.CODE=0
[DataStage][SQL Client][ODBC][DataDirect][ODBC lib] Data source name not found and no default driver specified.
4) I got suggestions that I shd add this Data source name in uvodbc.config....I did that. Still not working.
All help on this issue is appreciated. Let me know if more info is required.
P.S. I am posting this mail after not being able to find a similar query/answer in all topics related to ODBC.

Thanks,
Lali
Lalitha
Luk
Participant

Post by Luk »

DataStage is installed on a Linux Server.
You must have ODBC source and drivers locate on machine where your DS server is located!!
Created a systen DSN in the local machine using start->settings-> Control panel->Administrative tools->Data Sources(ODBC).
And , I think, you have created system DSN on your DS client machine (on Windows!!
LUK
Precious
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Precious »

You need to set up an ODBC connection on the Linux server.
You will have to make changes to the .odbc.ini file with regards to specifying the DSN. This is in addition to making the changes to uvodbc.config. You need to modify the uvodbc.config file that is in the Project Directory as well as the one at engine level.
You have a little more setting up to do. You are apparently using the ODBC stage, rather than the Oracle OCI stage; the latter would use the name in tnsnames.ora and not complain; certainly it wouldn't give an error with [ODBC] (the ODBC driver manager) in it!

In the DataStage engine directory, edit the .odbc.ini file. Use the appropriate Oracle example there as your guide to create a data source name with appropriate library name and other information.

In the DataStage project directory, edit the uvodbc.config file. At the very list you need the data source name and "DBMSTYPE = ODBC" (and there must be space characters either side of the "=".

Love means nothing to a tennis player.
Rest of post is here:

viewtopic.php?t=92600&start=0&postdays= ... =.odbc.ini

Regards,
Precious

Mosher's Law of Software Engineering: Don't worry if it doesn't work right. If everything did, you'd be out of a job.
Lali_swam
Participant

Re: ODBC Connectivity

Post by Lali_swam »

Thanks for all your input..I was able to establish ODBC connectivity successfully..
Lalitha
Precious
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Precious »

Hi Lali_swam,

If you dont mind, could you please detail the steps that you followed in order to establish connectivity. Someone might benefit from following the steps you used.

:P Thanx,
Precious

Mosher's Law of Software Engineering: Don't worry if it doesn't work right. If everything did, you'd be out of a job.