Clearing DSEngine/dsdlockd.log

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Clearing DSEngine/dsdlockd.log

Post by kduke »

Professor Ray or anyone,

Can I zero out this log file?

-rw-rw-rw- 1 dsadm dstage 2147483653 Mar 5 12:46 ./DSEngine/dsdlockd.log

Thanks
Mamu Kim
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There's a menu option to do that... don't recall the exact command to get into it - DEADLOCK.MENU or some such? Stupid brain. :?

But in general, the answer is 'yes'.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

It is the log of lock deamon. You can empty.
elavenil
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by elavenil »

The deadlock log file can be deleted using Universe system administration menu or uvdlockd command.

Regards
Saravanan
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Thanks.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's a regular text file. Empty it any way you like. Probably the fastest is to copy /dev/null to it. Best to do this with dsdlockd shut down.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I did it in the DEADLOCK.MENU. Worked like a charm. If this file was 2GB would it cause problems.
Mamu Kim
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:? Don't think so Mr Kim, unless you bump into some kind of ulimit. Or it might get slower and slower to append data to the log...
-craig

vinodlakshmanan
Participant

Post by vinodlakshmanan »

Pardon my ignorance, but what is this deadlock file used for?
Integrity is what you do when no one is watching
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Vinodlakshmanan,

a deadlock process is one which looks for orphaned locks and or processes associated with a program system. Usually this type of program can be found with Databases, since they use a lot of locks and do suffer from orphaned processes, but other types of applications require the same type of external process to do "housekeeping".

In DataStage the deadlock daemon will check the lock tables for locks that are still present in the system but no longer associated with a running process. Typically this type of problem will happen if a designer process is crashed or disconnected.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The dsdlockd.log file records the activity of the deadlock daemon. Every time it wakes, every time it checks for deadlocks, every time it cleans up after defunct processes - they're all recorded, and there's no auto-purge. Hence Mr Kim's problem.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsxdev
Participant

Post by dsxdev »

Hi Kim,
if this file dsdlockd.log goes beyongd 2GB I hope it does not allow writing into this file.
This is the case with some of Unix machines. On some machines max file size is 2GB.

I never came across such a situation but, can you tell if this file is really 2GB size and what are the consequences.

regards
dsxdev
Happy DataStaging
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

This is just a log file. he 2GB limit is on hash files. Most UNIX machines can go beyond this limit on sequential files like this type of log file. The job log files by the way are hash files and do need to be converted to 64bit to go beyond 2GB. If you have a job log file or really any log file then this is too big. That much history is not needed. These usually slow things down too when they are large.

The ls command will tell you how big this file is. It is a normal UNIX text file.
Mamu Kim
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

Hi

From where I need to execute "uvdlockd " command.

Thanks
Man
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You can execute it from wherever you like. If you're asking where it lives, a 'find' should turn it up easily but I imagine it's in the $DSEngine/bin directory like most things of that nature.
-craig